Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 6th, 2007 13:00

Dimension 2350 System Restore/Recovery

Ok... I know with the older computers they came with a disc that you could run in the system and it would restore the computer back to the way it was the first time you turned it on. Well, I guess now days it isnt like that anymore? I was told you have to make your own? This is all new to me, but here's the real problem. My mother in-laws boyfriend set this computer up for my wife and he did make these 'System Restore All In One DVD's' and there's four of them. They are completely useless, cant get them to do anything. I dont know what my wife did but the computer runs really slow now and I have tried everything to get it to run better and now Im tired of messing with it and what I'm needing to know is how can I restore the computer back to the way it was when it was new? Can I even do that? Is there a disc or something I can download off the dell website to do this? I would greatly appreciate it if anyone has any advise for me! Thank you!

well i dont have the cds that came with the computer and when you say 'on drive restore', are you talking about the System Restore that just takes it back to an earlier date?

1.3K Posts

Since you do not have the original CD's that accompanied the computer when new, and if the comptuer does not contain an image on the drive you are left with Microsoft Restore.

If you can remember when the changes were made to the computer, all the better. You can pick  a restore point prior to those changes and use that.  How?

1.3K Posts

The Symantec System Restore is much different than Microsoft System Restore.
Here is how they differ.

The Symantec System Restore is an image on the drive that the operating system can not access. It must be invoked at boot time by pressing the CTRL +F11 keys when the Dell logo is present, then releasing the keys simultaneously. The restore process with give you one warning only.

The Microsoft System Restore works differently and may be invoked while Windows XP is running in normal mode.This process will not restore the computer to factory default.

The making of restore disks is not necessary unless this is something you like to do between meetings.

11.9K Posts

jeremyharris2004 wrote:
well i dont have the cds that came with the computer and when you say 'on drive restore', are you talking about the System Restore that just takes it back to an earlier date?

If your disks are lost, you have no options except to find a friend with a Dell Windows XP Reinstallation CD, which ONLY contains Windows XP.  All application programs on your computer will be lost.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Dells never had that option. The system will have come with an XP CD and a drivers and utilities CD - use those to manually format and reinstall. The 2350 is too old to have shipped without CDs and with the on-drive restore.

1.3K Posts

January 6th, 2007 14:00

Rick

Please show me what part of my post was incorrect.

I already know the OS install disk does not have ALL the DELL specific drivers on the disk.
I never said using someone elses disk was illegal. I said it was not the best way to go especally if a restore point is possible.
What you suggested could lock someone out of Internet access due to no driver for the LAN or modem if they have only one computer.

:smileysurprised:

1.3K Posts

Using someone elses Windows XP OS restore disk, although legal, is not a good way to go because you will also need drivers that may not be on that OS restore disk and could leave you unable to access the internet to download the drivers.

12.1K Posts

Driver download site for the 2350 Dimension.  This is a start at least.  Now all he needs is the OS CD.  If he cannot find another Dell OS CD than he will have to purchase one.

11.9K Posts

ManyDimensions wrote:
Using someone elses Windows XP OS restore disk, although legal, is not a good way to go because you will also need drivers that may not be on that OS restore disk and could leave you unable to access the internet to download the drivers.

This information is not correct.

Since NO DELL REINSTALLATION DISK INCLUDES DRIVERS, and since ALL DELL REINSTALLATION DISKS ARE NON-MODEL SPECIFIC, it makes absolutely no difference what computer the disk came with.

What matters is the version of Windows (XP or Home or MCE) needs to match, and it's best to use an SP2 CD.

Drivers for all machines are on the site under the Technical Support tab above, and should be downloaded to CD prior to beginning the process, then installed CHIPSET, then Desktop System Software, then the rest including NETWORK.

11.9K Posts

January 6th, 2007 15:00

ManyDimensions wrote:
Rick

Please show me what part of my post was incorrect.

I already know the OS install disk does not have ALL the DELL specific drivers on the disk.
I never said using someone elses disk was illegal. I said it was not the best way to go especally if a restore point is possible.
What you suggested could lock someone out of Internet access due to no driver for the LAN or modem if they have only one computer.

:smileysurprised:

I'll be glad to explain what part of your prior post was incorrect, but first let me say that part of the post you just made is also incorrect:

"I already know the OS install disk does not have ALL the DELL specific drivers on the disk" - A more correct statement would be that it doesn't have ANY of the Dell specific drivers on the disk.  Not one.

As far as your prior post, you said:

You imply that someone else's OS CD may not include drivers that are needed.  I stated that there aren't drivers ON ANY Dell XP Reinstallation CD, so it makes no difference WHICH CD the OP uses as long as it's a Dell CD and as long as it's the same version.  If the OP had their own CD, it also wouldn't contain drivers. 

Lastly, you state above that my answer could lock them out of internet access.  Since I told them to download their drivers PRIOR to beginning the process, and to include CHIPSET and the network driver, they should have no issue.

If the OP wants to do a clean install, as stated, they need a Dell Reinstallation CD plus all of the drivers on CD.

2.2K Posts

January 6th, 2007 19:00

Not to jump in to the thread late... But, I guess I am.....

Wouldn't the easiest solution be to contact the father in law and find out how the four DVD's are supposed to work?

Also, a note to the original poster... For future reference, consider a program such as Acronis True Image along with an external hard drive....

Good luck.

1 Message

October 10th, 2012 12:00

For my friends doesnt have one but is their a website to download for free so that i can install to my computer.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 10th, 2012 13:00

There is no free OS install.  Only Malware.  This older system if it has a reinstall would be CTRL F11 Symantec restore.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

October 11th, 2012 06:00

Thread Locked due to age.  If you have this issue, please start a new thread.  Thank you.

No Events found!