Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 26th, 2010 11:00

Dimension 2400 CPU upgrade

I have a Dimension 2400 running a 2.4GHz Celeron, 128k cache, 400MHz FSB. I am looking for the fastest CPU that will fit. I am seeing varying information regarding the 478 socket size and CPU's.  Dell no longer supports this CPU so I am looking for any help.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 26th, 2010 11:00

Jeff-B_B 

You should have no problems with installing a Socket 478 P-4, Northwood [512kb or 400kb cache] processor in the Dimension 2400.

The maximum size is a Northwood P4 3.06GHz 533MHz FSB processor.

The 2400 will not take any Prescott processors [1mb cache].

The 2400 has Hyperthreading support, see HERE.

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Prior to installing the processor you need to upgrade the BIOS to version A03 [or higher] when updated CPU microcode was added to support the latest CPUs.

Bev.

16 Posts

March 23rd, 2011 22:00

Bev,

I too have a Dimension 2400 but mine has the stock 2.2 Northwood Pentium 4 400 running on a BIOS rev of A05 (the most current version available to date).

I want to upgrade to the 3.06 Northwood with Hyper-Threading. I see that you posted a link to the System Setup (BIOS) page for the 2400 and on that page it states that there is an option to enable or disable the Hyper-Threading feature under the CPU section of the BIOS.

My BIOS (version A05 - the most current version available) does not show a setting for Hyper-Threading whatsoever. And I am wondering if this is because the 2.2 processor that is currently installed doesn't support HT technology. I want to install the Northwood 3.06 with HT but don't want to go through the trouble if it isn't going to work....and although everything I've researched on the web so far indicates that the 3.06 Northwood 533 FSB should work, I have reservations about installing this processor given that my A05 version BIOS is NOT showing an option for hyper threading, plus that there there are a few people here on the forums who've tried to install this processor and had difficulties that have yet to be resolved.

Maybe I'm just better off sticking with what I have since it works.

Any input you have to offer would be appreciated. Thanks.  Mark

6.4K Posts

March 23rd, 2011 23:00

You're very welcome.  It is my understanding that most of the owners who have tried to upgrade to the 3.06 GHz processor who also had problems failed to make sure they had the correct processor.  This processor is quite rare and difficult to find these days.

6.4K Posts

The only processor that supports hyperthreading in the Dimension 2400 is the Northwood 3.06 GHz P4 533 MHz FSB.  You will find that information here:  Dimension 2400 Users Manual.  See page 17.  Note that although the manual states that hyperthreading is supported for 3.06 GHz or higher processors, the 3.06 GHz 533 MHz Northwood is the highest frequency processor supported in the Dimension 2400.

The BIOS for this model will not list hyperthreading as an option unless it detects a processor that will support it.

16 Posts

I found an SL6PG processor which, at first, I thought would NOT be compatible as I erroneously deduced that the "P" stood for Prescott (which wouldn't work in this motherboard as it can't accommodate the Prescott's 1mb cache). But doing further research on that processor I found that it does, in fact, have the Northwood core (which has the 512 cache...which is a critical compatibility issue for this board). So, golly shucks, I think I'm gonna have to just take the plunge and see what happens here. Thanks again for all the help.

16 Posts

That answers my BIOS and compatibility questions. As I stated though, it all reads well on the web...until I look at some of the threads on here written by others telling of their problems with upgrading to this particular processor. And that gives me some pause. God knows that what always looks right on paper doesn't always work out in practice - granted that the issues others had probably has more to do with extenuating circumstances. But given my penchant for experimentation, I will most likely try this upgrade, if for no other reason, just to see what happens. Thanks again for the info. Much appreciated.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 24th, 2011 09:00

Good luck with the upgrade.  :emotion-21:

Bev.

16 Posts

March 25th, 2011 07:00

Bev,

Quick question for you...

I've read that the Dell 4600 has a compatible mobo that would fit in my 2400. Do you know if this is true and, if so, what the performance advantage (if any) would be  by switching over to that mobo?

Thanks,

Mark

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 25th, 2011 08:00

volvoguy59

Yes, it is true, you would be able to use AGP video cards, instead of PCI cards, install a maximum of 4gb of DDR SDRAM, plus install 2 x SATA hard drives.

If you are intending to install a 4600 motherboard, a Dell Part # F4491 is the one to get, as It will support Socket 478, P4 400/533/800 MHz FSB processors, up to a 3.4Ghz Northwood or Prescott processors,has AGP and onboard graphics

You will also need to buy a Dimension 4600 rear I/O panel and motherboard tray.

Personally, I would not waste my money, trying to upgrade an obsolete 2400, with parts from an other obsolete system, both supporting Socket 478 CPU's.

Regards to performance, I have no idea how much you would gain, but I doubt it will be worth the cost of the upgrade.

Bev.

16 Posts

March 25th, 2011 09:00

Bev,

Thanks very much for the concise yet thorough answer and your insight. After reading your reply, I see that you are right...it's not worth upgrading an obsolete system with parts from another obsolete machine.

I hadn't really looked to see if the 2400 has a removable rear i/o panel or not. If there is a removable i/o panel I'd rather wait to buy a new mobo that can support a multi-core processor and new (faster) RAM technology. And I'd be able to keep the same case that I have now (I hate to waste anything). Besides, I like building my own machines...it's a hobby for me that I enjoy very much.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply and for offering your invaluable input.

Regards,

Mark

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 25th, 2011 14:00

Mark.

Happy to have helped.

The last Dell system I purchased was a 4 year old Inspiron 530MT, that's been highly modified and upgraded, using a Core 2 Duo e8400 CPU, as I have gone back to building my own systems again in 2009, using standard ATX components, as they are easier to upgrade and service.

Also, have a pristine 1999/2000 Dell L Series given to me several years ago, that I keep as a curiosity, this I very recently upgraded from 98se to XP, that came from another system I installed Windows 7 on, cost, zero, plus installed a Coppermine P3 1gb Socket 370 CPU, cost less than $15 including S&H.  

The L Series is fine for browsing the web and for eMail and that's just about all. :emotion-4:

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 25th, 2011 16:00

Mark.

Been buildng desktops since 2001, both for myself and other people.

I'm still servicing several Dimension 4600 & 2400 purchased from Dell around 2004, have had very few issues with them, mostly hard drive failures and 'people' problems.

Bev.

Edit: Looks like the post I answered was deleted.

16 Posts

March 25th, 2011 21:00

Yes they is (fun, that is).  The video card is my next move and, once again, I agree with you. Relieve the processor of that responsibility of processing graphics and that will leave it free to do much more important things...much more quickly (like wash my dishes....I only wish).

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Mark.

Ain't computers fun. LOL  :emotion-2:

Most times installing a PCI video card in the 2400, can be a better upgrade than the processor.

Bev.

16 Posts

....ooops. Looks like they pulled my last response. Guess those in charge of overseeing  the forums pages didn't like my "F.R.E.D." reference. Oh well.

Yeah, this 2400 I actually got for free. A friend of mine owns a retail store and takes in computers from customers and sends them off to recyclers (just as a good gesture...he's a very "green" conscious...which is a good thing).

Anyway, I really like this little machine. Just had to add some memory to it and  a new HD (the stock unit was working but it sounded like a dentist's drill - only good thing about that was I always knew when the machine was on...boy did I know). So, for under $80 I put in a 500GB WD Caviar Blue HD (nice drive...not silent, but certainly a lot quieter than they old one) and upgraded to 2 GB of RAM. Reinstalled Windows Xp Professional (my personal favorite OS of all Windows products) and, viola....I got myself one nice little machine. And now that I've been reading and hearing about the reliability of these little work horses makes me think I got really lucky. Not a bad deal.  Can't wait to get the 3.06 processor in it. I'm not expecting much of a difference (as I said before, this machine is pretty quick with the 2.2 processor). I'm doing the upgrade more as an exercise in experimentation to further my never ending self-tutelage). Everything I know about computers is self-taught  (a fact I'm obviously pretty proud of).

So, I'll keep tinkering and building....and learning.

No Events found!