Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 3rd, 2009 20:00

Dimension 3100 Desktop USB not working

I have a Dimension 3100 desktop that all of the sudden all USB connections stopped working on it? I've tried everything to figure out what happened but I can't. The keyboard & mouse work in BIOS but once windows xp pro loads nothing works even safe mode doesn't work. Can anyone tell me how I can get around this issue without having to re-install everything? I've tried different keyboards & mice and I get the same result with all of them. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Mike

6.4K Posts

February 18th, 2009 14:00

Two things you might try.

1.  Reset the NVRAM by removing the back-up cell found on the mainboard for several minutes.  If the cell has never been replaced, consider doing so.  These can last up to five years or so, but this is a variable dependent on how much time the computer spends in the "ON" state.  If your computer does not have a 3.5" diskette drive, you will need to go back to the BIOS setup to turn it off.  Until you do, you will get a complaint of a "Seek Error" and be asked to press F1 to continue.

2.  I never heard it was a problem on the 3100, but the 9100 could be particular about which ports you used for the keyboard.  Have you tried all of them?  What happens if you start the computer with the keyboard detached from the machine and plug it in after Windows is started?

For SuffolkSystems; I sort of suspect the moderators consider your avatar a commercial, which is likely why you can't keep a post on the board.  Advertising is one of the things that violate the terms of service here.

February 18th, 2009 14:00

I have a similar problem and every time I post it for help Dell takes it down, nice after all i have been selling there products for nearly 8 years now......please let me know if you figure it out

I have a Dimension 3100 in for repair, needs restore.... Well wether I use alt F11 to restore partition or Dell restore cd, I get same result, when it comes time to press Enter to continue on the "Welcome to setup" screen, my usb ports die......... This machine has only usb, no ps2, I have tried

3 different keyboards with same result, tried resetting  factory defaults in bios, same result, looked and looked all over google and so on, nothing on this topic........ Can any of you here help me???? I hope so i`m stumped .........The machine was fine b4 and is just a usb setting/issue i`m certain, was just riddled with viruses and needs standard backup/restore

2 Posts

February 18th, 2009 16:00

Hi,

Yes, I did end up resolving the issue. Here is what I did:

1) Make sure the power cord is disconnected from the computer. Open the computer case and make sure the motherboard green power light is turned off. Then remove the clock battery out for 2-3 minutes then put it back in and close the case.

2) Plug the power cord back into the computer and press and hold the front power button for about 15-30 seconds.

3) Plug only the mouse and boot the computer. When Windows loads it should pickup the mouse. If not, repeat step 2 again. If it works, press and release the front power button for windows to shutdown. Then plug your keyboard in and turn the computer on. All should work well now.

This is all I did to get my computer up and running. I hope this works for you.

Thank you,

Mike

2 Posts

August 19th, 2014 15:00

Thanks for the NVRAM solution. Regarding the Dell 3100C: removing the battery from the motherboard for two minutes solved the problem. I had also tried more than one keyboard, and had altered the BIOS settings to no avail. There is a CMOS reset jumper a few inches from the coin cell on the motherboard. You can move it from pins 1+2 to pins 2+3 for two minutes, then back, if you prefer to disconnect the battery that way.

No Events found!