Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 8th, 2013 13:00

Dimension 3100 Hard Drive and Graphics upgrade

I have a Dimension 3100 Desktop running with an Pentium 4 and 2GB of memory. The bios says its Version A03 that's running and the Dell system is a DV051.  I want to rum Win 7.0, but the hard drive size ( which is 80GB) must be increased and the graphics card needs upgrading to a Direct X 9 compatibility.   I tried to upgrade to version A04, but I got an error saying Windows prevented upgrade form desktop executable file.

Question:  How big a SATA drive will the current bios recognize?? Suggestions?  Any recommendations for a graphics card?  I have a PCIe X1 and a PCL slot still open.  The monitor is a VGA input, Viewsonic VA800 LCD.  I want to upgrade before MIcrosoft abandons Win XP.  Money is very tight, otherwise, I would buy a new PC. Thoughts?

August 31st, 2015 06:00

I have the Windows Update App showing up on my dell dimension E310 (3100), however the tool is telling me I can't upgrade because the 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family is not compatible with Windows 10.  The message is:  Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family - The display manufacturer hasn't made your display compatible with Windows 10.  Check with the manufacturer for support.

I have an upgraded video card on this machine, so I'm not sure why the native display adapter is causing an issue.   Can I simply disable it?  Any ideas?

52 Posts

August 31st, 2015 09:00

Thanks for the helpful reassurance and useful info about Win 10 grampalarry.  I'll have a bash at installing Win 10 :emotion-1:  btw i don't know if you or other readers of these postings have experienced a similar problem but it looks as though my 3100's  windows update facility is refusing to update to Win 10 automatically but i dk why. Oh well, nothing ventured nothing gained and I could certainly do with a faster start and load.

However I'm going on a fortnight's holiday and don't want to mess things up for my return so will prob leave it till I get back:emotion-2:  Good luck everybody else!!

22 Posts

well,some video games have vista and win7 on the minimum requirement os tab,and on the recommended they have 8.1 listed. From all the gossip/chat i've heard/read 8.1 is supposed to be a faster system,it just had an interface that people didn't like @ first. :emotion-3:  Windows 10 is based on 8.1 with even more improvements,AND it has a tolerable interface.(the start menu reminds me of windows 95with whistles LOL ) But even without uefi,with a pin,it takes about 1/3 to 1/2 of the time for my windows 10 machines to load as it took them on win 7. BTW, I don't have an ssd on ANY computer running windows. (I'm too cheap.:emotion-6: ) When I see them on sale again,I'll probably pick 1 or 2 up.

22 Posts

make sure your card has windows certified drivers available & is @ least directx9. you should be able to look in the update app to see what was ch'd,make sure your card is being listed. When all else fails,use the media creation tool to download the version of 10 you need for the upgrade.(home or pro,32 or 64 bit)and do the upgrade manually.I would definately try disabeling the intel video and re-running the windows 10 app first. simple is usually easier. U can also download the iso for 10,install to a usb using a program called rufus,then open the usb installer from inside windows.It goes to the windows upgrade feature like that real easy from the usb,AND just remember to leave the product key fields blank,it will fill them in during the install,then microsoft will issue the new 1 for ten when it's activated. :emotion-1:

22 Posts

August 31st, 2015 12:00

:) Hope U enjoy your holiday! Just a F.Y.I., I did a clean install of Windows 10 preview insiders program.That's what's still running on my 3100.It HAS installed each new version that the program's released to me on it with no problems.(Just did the th2 this weekend). I've upgraded 7 other computers here @ home to Win10,(2 to the pro version) without any real trouble.sometimes the app might have trouble installing it,I just started waiting till it said it was available.then it shows up in your updates.Click on the update & install it though there. seems to work better.

52 Posts

October 11th, 2015 05:00

Hi GRAMPALARRY.. Sorry for delay replying but holiday intervened. Anyhoo, just to say that I, too, had no problems downloading or installing Windows 10 as an update to Windows 7 following your advice on waiting till it said it was available.  I expected problems considering the age of my 3100 and the relatively slow processing speed etc but it all went unbelievably smoothly. It also means that I have avoided the awful Windows 8 TG!  Much appreciated!

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 11th, 2015 07:00

Dell Dimension E310 3100 (Pentium 4 630; 2Gig DDR2-533) No PCI-E X16 Slot only PCI and PCI-E X1

There are a  lot of issues with the E310 due to these limitations.

While an X1 Video card will work its not worth the effort or cost of the card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161354

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 11th, 2015 13:00

This thread has been locked due to it's age, if you have a similar issue, please use the 'New Post' feature at the top of this page and start a new thread.

Bev. 

No Events found!