Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 16th, 2010 00:00

Dimension 3100 v Windows 7

Hi - can anybody clarify the specification issues? My really really dependable 3100 shipped with Integrated Intel GMA 900 that the Intel site shows gives DirectX 9 acceleration. I want to instal Windows 7 but the box shows it requires DirectX 9 processor with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver: so why does Windows 7 advisor tell me that my 3100 (max L2 cache and recently upgraded to max RAM) show that my graphics adaptor won't support the Windows Aero user interface? Is this all a ruse to get me to buy yet another PC?

288 Posts

March 16th, 2010 05:00

What windows advisor is telling you is that you have a very old system that will not perform well with W7 aero interface. Since your system has no dedicated video capability you can load W7 but with somewhat limited features ie W7 aero interface. Keep in mind that you are trying to load the most advanced Windows operating system that is meant to operate with the latest technology on a system that was out of date 3 years ago (no pci-e slot, only 2 dimm slots, Pentium 4 cpu). If you are running well with WXP there is really no need to upgrade. Good Luck.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

March 16th, 2010 20:00

Hi - can anybody clarify the specification issues? My really really dependable 3100 shipped with Integrated Intel GMA 900 that the Intel site shows gives DirectX 9 acceleration. I want to instal Windows 7 but the box shows it requires DirectX 9 processor with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver: so why does Windows 7 advisor tell me that my 3100 (max L2 cache and recently upgraded to max RAM) show that my graphics adaptor won't support the Windows Aero user interface? Is this all a ruse to get me to buy yet another PC?

If the onboard video truly isn't supported by Aero, a PCIe 1x or PCI video card is a lot cheaper than a new PC.

I got Windows 7 Aero working with an ancient 2350, courtesy of a Sparkle 8400GS PCI video card. Blu-ray playback, too. Newegg has fresh stock for $46 shipped.

No Events found!