Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 22nd, 2008 11:00

Dimension 440 takes a Looong time to turn on

Hi All,

I have a Dimension 4400 that takes a looong time to turn on. I don't mean boot, it boots quite quickly. I mean when you push the power button in the front to boot it, it typically takes between 10 and 20 min before the fans start turning and the boot begins. When off the button on the front is yellow for stand-by. In the 20 min or so after you push the button, it stays yellow with no change at all. Eventually after the 10-20 min it will suddenly change to green, the fans start turning and the boot begins. The boot itself takes less than 60 seconds. Once up the PC is fine and happy indefinately.

I replaced the CMOS battery because it was cheap and there was a chance it was the problem, of course it was not. Now I'm somewhere between:

1. Power Supply (gonna start costing some money to try)

2. Motherboard (I understand it's no longer available for the 4400)

3. freyed wire or other bad connection (looked already, could be bad start button, not sure).

Does anyone have any thoughts, gut-feelings or past experiences they can share with me? It would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Tim

4.8K Posts

March 22nd, 2008 12:00

tfrazier6220,

When the front power button is yellow, this does not indicate standby.  Standby is indicated by a blinking green power button.  An amber front power LED indicates a power problem.  Check this link for more info on the meaning of the different states of the power button LED:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4400/solve.htm#1121330

It is possible that the motherboard has a problem, but it is more likely that the power supply is failing.  It is also possible that one of the peripheral devices (PCI card, USB device, etc...) may be causing this problem.  Before spending any money, power the system down and disconnect all external devices.  Power back up and see if the problem still exists.  If it does, power back down and disconnect the power cord, remove all internal PCI cards and power the system back up.  If the problem goes away, try disconnecting power and reinstalling each of the removed devices, one at a time and then powering back up until you find the failing component. 

If nothing seems to fix the problem, the least expensive component replacement to try for this problem is the power supply.  The Dell part number for the power supply in your system can be found on the power supply itself.  It will be something like D/PN 0XXXXX.  The last 5 characters will be the Dell part number.  One of the part numbers for this power supply is 4G456.  You can purchase it from Dell Spare Parts at 1-800-357-3355 or you can purchase it online at this link:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/category.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&k=4g456

Steve

Message Edited by BigBrother on 03-22-2008 08:29 AM
Message Edited by BigBrother on 03-22-2008 08:30 AM

April 12th, 2008 14:00

Sorry, one more thing. I forgot to mention that the power button is lit a solid green. No blink, no yellow, just a solid green like the box was on and running in normal mode - - but of course never even starts fans or any signs of life.

Press and hold of the green light for about 5 seconds turns it off fully. I wait a couple min and press the power button to start the box and it turns on solid green again, but again no signs of life as it never starts fans or anything.

Thanks again!

April 12th, 2008 14:00

Hi, Thanks for your help. Still struggling with this. Still the green light comes on the power button, but now it never starts up. Here's what I've done since last:

1. Only external devices were keyboard, mouse, speakers, monitor and wireless card (linksys).

2. I removed PCI wireless card, and same issue. (put back after)

3. I reseated graphics card (PCI-X), same issue.

4. I reseated memory (only one DIMM in box), same issue.

5. I moved memory DIMM to other mem slot (in case it was a bad slot) same issue.

6. I tried a different mouse and keyboard from another machine that I know work fine, same issue.

7. I tried booting without a graphics card at all, same issue. (put back after).

8. I bought a Power Supply and installed it, same issue (put original back). The new power supply came with all new wires of course, so that kind of testing wiring as well...That's the real kicker.

So now it seems like I'm looking at a mobo issue, an issue with the actual power switch on the front, or possible a wiring issue between the two. They connect (wires from board and wires to physical power switch) on a little board that also includes the USB ports on the front of the box.

My fear is that I may actually replace the mobo and still have the same issue. Like if the issue is with the actual power switch which is in a nigtmare position to get to in the front bezel.

Any and all suggestions or even "gut feelings" would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Tim

No Events found!