Desktops General - Read Only

2 Bronze

Dimension 5150 cpu Upgrade

I have 4 dell dimension 5150's and would like to upgrade all 4 to the fastest CPU possible for that old of a computer.

Would an Intel Pentium D 945 3.4 GHz LGA 775 CPU SL9QQ 4M/800 Presler Dual Core work?

They now have PROCESSOR, 524, 3.06, 1MB, PENTIUM 4 PRESCOTT DT, G1

Or what is the best I could get in these?

I've got windows 7 and hoping to be able to get on up to 10 but the 524 is not compatible.

Solutions (2)

Accepted Solutions
9 Rhodium

scbauml

The Pentium D945 is the maximum that can be used in the Dimension 5150/E510. 

However, if you do not have the 0HJ054 motherboard installed and you upgrade the CPU on most other motherboards you will get an "incompatible CPU" at boot up and must press F1

The Dimension 5150/E510 does not support any of the Pentium G20xx Series processors, these require a different motherboard and socket.
The Dimension 5150/E510 motherboard has a Socket LGA 775 and does not support any Core 2 Duo/Core 2 Quad processors, only Socket LGA 775, P4 and Pentium D can be used.

The Pentium D945 is the maximum that can be used in these models. 

Prior to upgrading the processor, check that you have the latest BIOS version installed.

You can find more Dimension E510/5150 upgrade info, here:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19322845.aspx#19660018

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

View solution in original post

Community Accepted Solution
8 Krypton

Bios must be updated to A05 BEFORE changing CPU or it will say incompatible cpu halted.

After A05 it will say incompatible cpu press F1 to continue.    Max Ram is 3.25 gigs regardless of 64 bit os or not.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Diagnostics & Tools

Replies (6)
9 Rhodium

scbauml

The Pentium D945 is the maximum that can be used in the Dimension 5150/E510. 

However, if you do not have the 0HJ054 motherboard installed and you upgrade the CPU on most other motherboards you will get an "incompatible CPU" at boot up and must press F1

The Dimension 5150/E510 does not support any of the Pentium G20xx Series processors, these require a different motherboard and socket.
The Dimension 5150/E510 motherboard has a Socket LGA 775 and does not support any Core 2 Duo/Core 2 Quad processors, only Socket LGA 775, P4 and Pentium D can be used.

The Pentium D945 is the maximum that can be used in these models. 

Prior to upgrading the processor, check that you have the latest BIOS version installed.

You can find more Dimension E510/5150 upgrade info, here:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19322845.aspx#19660018

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

8 Krypton

Bios must be updated to A05 BEFORE changing CPU or it will say incompatible cpu halted.

After A05 it will say incompatible cpu press F1 to continue.    Max Ram is 3.25 gigs regardless of 64 bit os or not.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Diagnostics & Tools

2 Bronze

I ended up buying the D945 Processors for 5 computers.

The first one I changed out went without a hitch. At first I was worried because the BIOS was A07. Turns out I didn't have to hit F1. It had no problems whatsoever.

The next 2 failed miserably. After changing cpu's, i'd turn the computer on and it looks like it's on but nothing on the screen, Changed back to the old processor and no problems. So, I checked the BIOS and those 2 are A05.

Sooo, I decided to update the BIOS and no matter what I tried, neither one would let me update the BIOS. Said windows wouldn't allow the computer to flash. I even tried in safe mode and still would not work. Tried as administrator also.

Any suggestions?

9 Rhodium

scbauml

BIOS Version A07 is fine.

Did you try updating to BIOS version A07?

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/dimension-5150x/drivers

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

2 Bronze

Yes, as mentioned, the computers would not let me update to A07.

However, I was looking through threads and found one that told me to create a dos bootable flash drive and boot to dos, and was able to update to A07... Then was able to do another computer with the new processor.

2 down 3 to go!!

2 Bronze

Sometimes, if you change the BIOS or CPU the computer defaults to the on-board video. Remove the PCI video card and connect to the on-board VGA port to see if you see a boot up screen.

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions