Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 30th, 2013 11:00

Dimension 8200 Graphics Card Help

Hi everybody,

I recently bought an ATI Radeon 256MB 9550 R96 AGP card with the intention that it will be an upgrade from my 64MB NVIDIA Geforce 2 MX/MX400. I mainly wanted an upgrade because I was unable to watch large sized videos or stream videos without having the video pause every 2 seconds or have it come grinding to a halt with my current card. After I downloaded the drivers and installed the new Radeon card, things seemed to be working fine, but as I hopped onto YouTube to test out the card further, I noticed some graphical artifacts and a few dotted vertical red lines all over my desktop. They have not disappeared since. Could this be a problem with my card? My computer's PSU? Or something else? Should I return the card?

If this card is not suitable for my computer, I would also like some recommendations as to which card I should get, bearing in mind that I only use this PC for movies in Movie Player, online movie streaming and Photoshop and would prefer not to upgrade the PSU. My PCI ports are all occupied so I would like an AGP card.

My specs:

Dell Dimension 8200

Intel Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.00GHz

Windows XP 2002 Home Edition

SP 2

250 Watts

2GB PC800 RD RAM

NVIDIA Geforce 2 MX/MX400 64MB

AGP 4x video controller

14" Compaq FP5315 monitor

SoftV90 Voice Speakerphone Modem

Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC

Ralink Turbo Wireless LAN Card

VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller

Thanks!

5 Posts

June 30th, 2013 16:00

Moderators, apologies for the multiple posts of the same thread. Could you please delete the other duplicates and leave this one? Thanks.

1.5K Posts

July 1st, 2013 09:00

There's not much left out there in the AGP world except on ebay.  The old Geforce 2 is pretty bad and the old 9550 is not much better.  I would return it if you're having those problems as described.  The X1300 Pro cards are better than these two or you can still buy the Nvidia 6200 AGP new.  If it was me, I would get this HD 3450 HERE since it is new and specified for the Dell 8200.  It is better than all the others mentioned. 

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

July 4th, 2013 01:00

Hello Wilde2013,

In addition to what Kelbear1 has said, I would also request you try a clean installation of the video drivers. That is, uninstalling and re-installing the video drivers:

• Open Device Manager (Start -- Control Panel -- Device Manager).
  • Expand the tab for Display Adapters and right click the ATI Radeon 9550. 
  • From the drop down menu, select “Uninstall”. 
  • Ensure to check the box “Delete driver software for this device”. 
  • Restart the computer. 
  • Once the drivers are unistalled, re-install the latest drivers from AMD Support Site
  • Restart the computer and check the functionality.

If the above steps don’t work, try re-seating the video card and check if that works. 

Regarding the recommended video card for Dell Dimension 8200, please refer to the discussion here

Hope this helps!

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

July 8th, 2013 19:00

I recently bought an ATI Radeon 256MB 9550 R96 AGP card with the intention that it will be an upgrade from my 64MB NVIDIA Geforce 2 MX/MX400. I mainly wanted an upgrade because I was unable to watch large sized videos or stream videos without having the video pause every 2 seconds or have it come grinding to a halt with my current card.

For video playback purposes, I suggest a modern PCI card like the Sparkle GT210. It has full support for video decoding, including all three Blu-ray codecs. I don't recommend an AGP card, because either such support is not included (like the 6200GT) or driver support is poor (the ATI 3XXX and 4XXX series).

I believe the Sparkle also features an onboard HDMI audio device that will power monitor speakers (should your monitor be so equipped).

No Events found!