Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 21st, 2009 18:00

Dimension 8300 Ram Expansion Anomaly

I have an older Dimension 8300 desktop system, and I recently filled the four memory expansion slots with 4 Kingston KVR400X64C3A/1G, which is a 1gigabyte 400MHz DDR non-ECC CL3 PC3200 memory card. 

I had originally expanded to 2G with these cards and I had no issues.  The cards actually solved several problems I had with applications that demanded more memory and were causing the computer to run extremely slow and overrun the virtual memory. 

After I installed the next two cards to reach the maximum of 4G, I discovered an anomaly with my media player applications, e.g. I-Tunes.  When I select songs to play, I hear an odd high pitched pulsing noise from the speakers that plays much louder over the music, which is almost inaudible in the background.  I have tried changing several different settings in the computer to try to figure out why, but the only thing that seems to work is removing the two additional memory cards and reducing it back to 2G.

Has anyone run into this issue in the past, or do you have any idea what could be causing this?  The computer supports up to 4G of RAM, so I thought that this would not cause issues with any applications.  I really appreciate anyone's help with this.  Thank you!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 22nd, 2009 04:00

Hi, ekbueno:

You might try posting in the iTunes forum. That would be the best place to get help with iTunes.

Good luck!

3 Posts

November 22nd, 2009 12:00

Thank you for the suggestion.  I have tried a few other forums but no help yet with possible causes.  This is not just ITunes.  It is also windows media player, PowerDVD (which was the original Dell movie player software, etc.  It also plays this high pitched noise when I try to use the Soundblaster set up software to calibrate the speakers.  But Windows sound effects seem to play just fine, like when Windows starts, shuts down, etc.  This is why I believed this to be some sort of hardware issue.  When I removed two cards and reduce to 2G of RAM, the issue goes away and all sound plays normally.

The computer is 32bit, with windows XP Home edition, and a soundblaster Audigy2.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 23rd, 2009 05:00

That would have been helpful information to provide in your first post. I assume you've tried reinstalling the audio drivers?

3 Posts

November 24th, 2009 19:00

I did attempt to reload all audio drivers.  The sound card seems to be functioning properly, and the reinstall from the original SoundBlaster CD went smoothly during the "repair" install.  I had the two cards removed, and reinserted them, but the issue remains the same.  On any media applications, like ITunes, MS Media Player, PowerDVD, I get a very loud high pitch pulsing noise out of the speakers and inaudible audio.  Windows sound effects work fine and come through normal.  When I remove two cards leaving two 1G cards in slots 1 and 2, the media applications return to normal. 

I am at a loss as to the cause, and have not had any other fruitful feedback from other forums.

No Events found!