Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 12th, 2009 12:00

Dimension 8400 RAM

Hi,

I recently bought several sticks of this RAM:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220144

for my DImension 8400 (with the standard mother board and XP Professional), as well as a new Hard Drive to replace the one that was failing. However after attempting to install the ram it didn't appear to be working, and my computer didn't seem to recognize it. I was wondering if this RAM was simply incompatible, or whether there was something I could do to get it to work. If there is an issue, is it a result of the RAM's speed or perhaps it's voltage (2.2v instead of 1.8v), and if it is a voltage issue, is it the motherboard or power supply (also the 8400 default) or is can I change something in BIOS. As I said, I had just installed a new hard drive, and with it windows, so could that be causing problems. Thank you for your time.. 

August 12th, 2009 15:00

So the memory is definitely incompatible then, and I'm not doing something wrong? Thank you.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 12th, 2009 15:00

Glottisthedriver

There are no settings in the Dimension 8400 BIOS, to make non-compatible 2.2v memory, compatible.

Return the memory for credit and go HERE and buy memory that is certified to be compatible with your 8400 system and has a lifetime warranty and free S&H on orders $40.00+.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 12th, 2009 16:00

Glottisthedriver

Upgrading the memory is one of the easiest upgrades to perform, providing the new RAM is compatible.

There are basically four reasons, why memory does not work (1) RAM not compatible to the computer (2) Faulty RAM (3) Bad memory slot [rare] (4) RAM not installed correctly.

Bev.

9 Posts

September 3rd, 2009 15:00

HI,             (Dimension 8400 / XP / service pack 3  /   1gb ram /)  looking for help with NEW RAM INSTALL & hard drive paging files , virtual memory, allocations

I could use some advice on RAM. I have ordered the proper ram for my DIMENSION 8400, but just want to be sure I get the install right and etc.. I read so many things about so many things, and I just got done installing a new primary drive and a new xp operating system. So far, so good, but If any kind soul could help me a bit on configuring my rig for its best performance, I would appreciate that greatly. I have a couple of issues...

I am getting a pair (2x1gb) of RAM, but it's been ten years since I did a ''put-in".   Should I remove the original, smaller, paired RAM boards and put them in other spots, so I CAN put the new 1gb rams where they were? Just switch 'em?   (set 'em and forget 'em) Anything else?

Does it  matter what order they are in? should it be 1g, 1g, 512mb, 512mb in that order?

Are there any other, easy, sensible steps/things to do to speed up or improve my computer's performance? I've read some things, virtual memory, etc...(see following question), but I seem to remember some other easy things that can be done.

Also, I'm pretty confused about PAGE FILES / PAGING FILES and hard drives. If anyone can enlighten me on this, that would be great too. Right now, the rig is configured to let windows decide the best allocations. I have a 500gb drive that is partioned into three, and I have an external 250drive, though I'm not sure I want to break up/divide the paging amongst other drives as I've read about.

When I install the new RAM, will that change my page file allocations or anything? or should I change them?

If I were to do some sort of break up and spread accross plan with the paging files allocation, etct.., would it matter if that hard drive was external and uplugged and moved around, or just one day eliminated/replaced? Anything vital that goes missing, or not a concern ?

I'll check back often, and GREAT THANKS to whomever can help me out with this issue !!

-hazenworld  9/2/09 4:40pm p.s.t.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 3rd, 2009 16:00

hazenworld

THIS will explain how to install new memory modules in a 8400.  

Keep the original memory [2 x 512mb modules] in the connectors 1 & 2 and install the new 2 x 1gb modules in 3 & 4.

Installing new RAM will not effect the paging file allocation.

I've found it best to let Windows take care of the paging file, that's on the C:/ drive.

Bev.

September 29th, 2009 11:00

I bought also an 8400,  P4 prescott 3.2mhz  HT with a GF 6800 256Mb video and the Audigy sound on Win XP about 5 years ago.

The problem I have is memory selection: in the system it came with 512 ddr2 sdram 400mhz (2 x 256), later on i purchased another 512 mb 400mhz (one 512)  (making 1 GB).

I want to throw away all and get 2 x 1 Gb, nice and easy.

So manuals states that the memory supported is 400 mhz and 533mhz, Dell upgrades says 800mhz

So what is right?  is it Ok to buy  2 stick of 1 Gb ddr2 Sdram 800mhz for my system? Or am i stuck with 400 or 533 mhz?

On another topic: what is the biggest processor supported by this motherboard? I have P4 3.2HT prescott

September 29th, 2009 12:00

Thanks for the precious link to crucial:

It shows that i have  Pc2 3200 (400mhz) but can go up to Pc2 6400 (800mhz)...make me wonder why Dell sold me lower Ram...but whatever, Ill get  2 x 1Gb Pc2 6400 800mhz as both Dell upgrades and Crucial said that my system supports it and throw  away the old, slow Ram...

as processor goes, 6.0 and 6.2 but not 6.1 ...get it. Ill compare price versus potential gain to see if it worth it.

thank you Bev and big kiss from Montreal

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 29th, 2009 12:00

Frankywantstoknow

The memory HERE is certified to be compatible with your D-8400 system and has a lifetime warranty and free S&H on orders $40.00+.

You can upgrade to any Socket LGA775, 5xx, 6x0 or 6x2 processor, with 90nm architecture, but not the 6x1 processors.

8400 systems do not support dual core [Pentium D] or Core 2 Duo processors.

The 670 3.8Ghz is the largest.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 29th, 2009 13:00

Frankywantstoknow

You are welcome.

Bev.

No Events found!