Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

January 22nd, 2009 10:00

Dimension 9150- Weird fan noise- is it...?

My Dim 9150 started having a weird fan noise a couple of days ago. It only happens after the computer is on for >5 hours.

Because the grill in the front is open, it sounded like it was coming from that fan (the CPU fan?), but when I pulled the computer out off of the dek, it also sounded like it could be coming from the back (Power Supply fan?).  Also, when I slid the front of the computer off the front of the desk, the noise stopped until I slid the computer back.

I searched for and read through at least 50 pages of similar problems in this forum, but am not sure how to diagnose.

Not sure if the noise is the hard drive, CPU fan, or power supply fan.  Any help much appreciated. Called sales and that was no help. They said Dell doesn't have pre-sales support.

January 23rd, 2009 17:00

Kind of hard to beleive I'm the only person in the country or world that has had this problem with a computer.

Isn't there anyone who has a suggestion? Or did I ask a stupid question?

January 26th, 2009 05:00

Though no one has replied, I'm updating anyway. I cleaned out the inside with compressed air and a vacuum. I have the case off so that, if the noise comes back, I might be able to see or hear which fan is the problem. However, there is a slight buring smell which appears to come from the power supply, though my husband thinks it might be burning dust.

I know this forum isn't Dell free tech support, but I did think it was visited by hardware experts that were happy to help desperate people. It will probably be cheaper for me to replace all the fans myself than to buy tech support plus parts. Sigh. At least my disgust with MS is mitigated by the fact that in the various MS communities, people actually help you.

January 26th, 2009 15:00

I had a noise (vibration) problem which I diagnosed to the same 3 things you are. Mine turned out to be the hard drive, but you didn't mention vibration and you say there is a burning smell. I suggest you buy a cheap power supply replacement off eBay and see if that fixes your problem.

January 26th, 2009 22:00

Thanks for the reply! That's exactly what I'm going to do. The sound is a whirring sound. Sometimes the sound cycles and sometimes it doesn't. I had the computer on for 12 hours today with no sound, but still a faint buring smell. It's worth the peace of mind to replace the power supply, though I've not done it before. But I think I can do it. :)

Thanks again.

No Events found!