Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 9th, 2008 08:00

Dimension 9200 integrated audio not working after Windows XP re-install

Re-installed Windows XP on a new HDD and have everything working except the integrated soundblaster audio. Device manager shows a yellow question mark and the driver (R12097.exe) says it cannot find a compatible device. I didn't install the Dell Desktop System Software utility before the other drivers - does this make a difference?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 9th, 2008 09:00

Did you install the chipset drivers?  They must be installed BEFORE installing device drivers such as the sound.   Also, the Soundblaster Advanced MB is only a software enhancement to the integrated audio which is most likely the SoundMax integrated audio.  Check your drivers discs for those drivers or you can get them at the Dell downloads for your specific model.  (Click support at the top of the page). 

For future reference, the correct install sequence is (1) Install Windows (2) install (motherboard) chipset drivers (3) install device drivers, such as the sound.

10 Posts

February 10th, 2008 20:00

I did install the chipset driver first. I even went through the whole process again and installed the Dell Desktop System Software first as recommended by Dell (haven't a clue what this actually does) but still audio doesn't work. I get sound OK if I run diagnostics from the Utility partition but can't get it to run under Windows. Soundblaster Audigy driver was supplied on disk so presumably must be the right driver. Any ideas where to go from here?

2.6K Posts

February 11th, 2008 00:00

As another 410/9200 owner I'll go ahead and jump in.  Try the Sigmatel driver first to get basic sound functionality:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R124105&SystemID=DIM_PNT_9200_XPS_410&servicetag=&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=8907&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=1&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=3&fileid=165080

Then try installing the Audigy software from your disk. 

Message Edited by Alexandra_P on 02-10-2008 06:25 PM
No Events found!