Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 24th, 2010 22:00

Dimension B110 CPU upgrade

I'm a little stumped, I've got a B110, I just bought a SL6WK (3 ghz 800 mhz FSB) CPU to put in it, this would be an upgrade from a 2.53 ghz celeron (533 FSB)

the motherboard is a 0WF887

when I installed the new CPU the computer was brain dead, the old CPU (2.53 ghz celeron) works fine, but the new SL6WK (Northwood) doesn't work at all, the CPU is ok, it workes fine in another one of my computers, but not this B110, which leads me to believe that the B110 mobo just isn't willing to accept that northwood.

I saw the list of dell autherized CPU's for the B110, and the list doesn't show anything with an 800mhz FSB, but looking at the MOBO specs, it says it will take a Celeron D, or an intel pentium 4, (up to 800 mhz FSB)

so what gives here? what am I missing? in my thinking that SL6WK should have worked without question, but it's obvious that the mobo just didn't like it.

my question is, can I run any of the 800mhz FSB CPU's in a B110?

288 Posts

January 25th, 2010 04:00

Did you update the bios before changing the cpu? Check the Dell downloads section to ensure there is a bios for this cpu / model available. If not then I guess you'll have to make due with your existing cpu or find a Pentumm 2.6 533 fsb cpu instead. Good Luck.

January 25th, 2010 12:00

this computer was bought new from Dell back in 2006, it came with BIOS version A01, and looking at the dell web site, the latest version is A01, so I'm thinking that I already have it, could there be a difference between the BIOS version I have (A01) and the (A01 version) available through the DELL web page?

I wouldn't think so, but I have seen stranger things.

thanks for your responses by the way.

I can do the BIOS upgrade, but in my mind, what I have, and what's available are the same thing.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 25th, 2010 12:00

Sod_Chucker

You need to upgrade the BIOS to the latest version A01 prior to installing processor, where support for newer processors was added.

Any Socket 478 Northwood or Prescott P-4 processor, will work in the B110/1100, with an FSB specification up to 800 MHz.

Bev.

61 Posts

September 30th, 2010 22:00

Hey Sod_Chucker what ever happened here?  Were you able to get it to work?  I know it's been a while but if you're still around can you give us an update?

I am doing the same upgrade right now.  I just purchased an SL7B8 3.2 GHz 1M Prescott off ebay.  I am very worried now after reading these posts on here that it will either not work at all or operate at a greatly reduced speed.

There are three other threads about this herehere, and here.

UPDATE:  Well unfortunately my fears were true and the other posters were right, it works but at a reduced speed.  The cpu is a 3.2 GHz 1M 800 Prescott, but for some reason it gets reduced to 2.7 GHz.  Anybody have any idea why this is happening?  Or if there is a way to fix it?  And yes it has the most current bios A01.

61 Posts

October 9th, 2010 22:00

My question is, can I run any of the 800mhz FSB CPU's in a B110?

Great news Sod_Chucker.  Yes you can.  See my last post here.  It appears that the B110 is a bit picky and only supports certain models of 800 MHz FSB CPU's.  I used an SL6WG and it's working fine.

Speaking of sod I think our lawn could do with a good re-sodding.  I don't think it has been done ever.  :emotion-3:

7 Posts

January 22nd, 2011 23:00

A while ago a friend gave me his pc for free; well I found pc was limited in upgrading.  After some research, I found a motherboard that would fit perfectly into it was a Asus P5N73-AM motherboard.  Was worried that the front panel panel pin plug wouldn't fit but it did.

With this mobo, it you can upgrade to using the 775 pin, it will allow you to use Pentium D's, Duo, and core 2 processors, plus uses DDR 2 memory, has built on Nvidia graphics plus an PCIe 16 v2.0 if you want to use your own graphics card. But it retains a floppy plug, 1 IDE plug. The bonus side is that has Serial ATA built on, including 8 channel sound and Lan.

61 Posts

January 23rd, 2011 00:00

Holy cow that is AWESOME!  I fix these old dimensions all the time for people.  Thanks for the great info.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 23rd, 2011 00:00

The B110/1100/2400/3000/4600/4700 share the same micro-ATX-compatible case.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 23rd, 2011 10:00

I've been posting on this subject for ages; search my posts for my findings.

Note that USB connector has a non-standard ninth lead that should be removed, as it will short out some mainboards. (Fortunately, in my case, the Coolmax 500-watt power supply had overload protection.)

61 Posts

January 23rd, 2011 12:00

Yes I remember you posting some suggestions regarding this rdunnill.  I'll have to go back and read the posts again like you said.  Realizing now that it might be more cost effective to swap out the mb than to upgrade the cpu and ram on an old board.  You guys have any good suppliers for these boards?  Looks like there's one on ebay for pretty cheap right now. 

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 23rd, 2011 12:00

Any microATX will do; I'd suggest a board that accepts DDR3 memory, as it's much cheaper than DDR2. My 3000 currently has a Gigabyte G31 board, but that's because said board has better Macintosh OSX support.

IN this thread is detailed how to reuse the OEM COA product key with a retail XP install.

I rewired the front audio port in my 3000 for standard 2X5 HD front audio, but it required two pairs of crimping pliars to approximate the factory pin crimps. A small price to pay, considering the savings over a new PC.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 23rd, 2011 13:00

This is the best combination of price and performance I can find. (I think) it will allow thermal speed control with both three- and four connector fans (the existing case fan will be three connector) and it supports DDR3 memory plus four SATA-300 devices.

Foxconn has a G41 offering for a few dollars less, but it supports only two SATA devices.

61 Posts

January 23rd, 2011 13:00

So what's a good, economical board that you would suggest using? 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 23rd, 2011 15:00

As old as it is its not really economical to upgrade a B110/1100.

A better choice would be an Optiplex GX620 Tower or Inspiron 530 Tower.

Used Dells with DDR2 or DDR3 Ram and Dual Core or Core2 Duo with PCI-E X16 video slots and at least 305W power supply

will run circles around anything that could be added to the B110.

The aforementioned systems are available used online in the $250 to $350 range.

I still use 620's and 530's because I don't see any benefit to upgrading XP to Vista or Windows 7 for all the tnings that I do.

61 Posts

January 23rd, 2011 17:00

As old as it is its not really economical to upgrade a B110/1100.

A better choice would be an Optiplex GX620 Tower or Inspiron 530 Tower.

Used Dells with DDR2 or DDR3 Ram and Dual Core or Core2 Duo with PCI-E X16 video slots and at least 305W power supply

will run circles around anything that could be added to the B110.

The aforementioned systems are available used online in the $250 to $350 range.

I still use 620's and 530's because I don't see any benefit to upgrading XP to Vista or Windows 7 for all the tnings that I do.

Hmm.  Great advice, and duly noted.  Certainly would save a bit of work swapping out mb's.  Thanks SpeedStep.

What I'm wondering about is this.  What would the total price be to swap out a mb on an older dimension, plus the cost of the cpu, and ram.  I'm guesstimating about $150.  Does that sound right to you rdunnill?

No Events found!