Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 29th, 2008 20:00

Dimension e510 USB ports are dead

Hi,

I have a dell dimension e510 and currently all the usb ports are dead on the machine.  The ones on the front panel as well as the back panel will not work.  When I plug a mouse into the port it does not receive any power.  Everything was working fine a few days ago.  If anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated.  Thanks.

23 Posts

October 29th, 2008 20:00

Are you in warrenty.... if so call dell. If not then try reinstalling the chipset/system software/bios. Also try and see if they work pre-boot/safemode.  If still no go then more than likely it is a mobo issue. If it needs replacement it might be more cost effective to buy a pci usb card for the machine than replace the whole mobo.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 29th, 2008 22:00

Do the keyboard and other USB devices work? If yes, then your mouse is probably dead.

If nothing works and you can't even press F2 to enter BIOS setup during boot-up, try this:

Power off and disconnect PC from the wall

Disconnect ALL USB devices

Press/hold power button on tower for ~15 sec

Leave PC unplugged for a couple of hours or even overnight

Connect only USB mouse and keyboard

Boot up

Ron 

5.8K Posts

October 30th, 2008 13:00

My USB ports have gone dead a couple of times on my 9200.  The only thing that worked for me was to completely power down, pull the power cord and press the power button for 10 seconds to drain the PSU.  The ports then worked again.

Peter

3 Posts

October 30th, 2008 17:00

Nothing works in the USB ports.  I will have to try unplugging it and holding down the power button and see if that helps.  

3 Posts

October 30th, 2008 17:00

Well tried the power button thing and left it uplugged for about 30 min.  Didn't fix it.  Currently leaving unplugged for longer but I'm not sure if that will help.  Any other ideas?

2 Posts

January 8th, 2009 06:00

As of yesterday, I am experiencing the same problem with my Dimension 520. Currently in the power-down mode suggested here. Will get back with results later.

2 Posts

January 8th, 2009 21:00

Hallelujah!  The procedure described by Ron (RoHe) above worked, and I am now back in business.  All systems functioning normally.  Thanks, Ron!

January 25th, 2009 00:00

I have a Dell Dimension e510.  After I came back from lunch today, the USB keyboard and mouse did not work. 

1) I powered off, powered on - Windows restarted, same problem. 

2) Restarted PC.  Checked BIOS USB settings - all ON.  Note, USB keyboard was working with BIOS.  Keyboard and mouse lights go off within 1 second of Windows XP  bootstrap screen.  Mouse light comes back on just before login screen, and it moves about 2mm then freezes if I wriggle it.  Unplugging it, the mouse light goes out.  Plug it back in, it lights for about 1/2 a second, then goes out again.

3) I unplugged all USB devices except for keyboard and mouse.  Keyboard was plugged into USB port nearest the ethernet socket.  Mouse was plugged in next to it.  Powered on. Same problem.

4)  Restarted PC and powered off at the Windows bootstrap screen to force an error.  When I powered on again, Windows gave me a DOS boot choice.  The keyboard worked, and I could select Windows safe mode option.  Once Windows came up, I can use keyboard and mouse in safe mode.

So I think it is a corrupt USB driver set.  So how can I fix it, without disabling the USB keyboard/mouse in safe mode?

January 25th, 2009 01:00

UPDATE - problem fixed

Having read some more posts, you can delete the USB drivers

Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware (tab) > Device Manager (button)

Scrolled down to "Universal Serial Bus Controllers"

Right-click, Uninstall  down the list...

Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2830
Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2831
Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2832
Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2833
Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2834

Mouse stopped working at 2834.  Powered off.  Powered on.  Windows login screen.  Nothing worked, but there was a lot of disk activity, so waited until it stopped.  Mouse and keyboard worked again.

No Events found!