Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 10th, 2009 11:00

Does ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB video card sold with the Studio Slim Desktop (540s) support dual monitors?

Does anyone know if the "ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB" video card that is sold with the Studio Slim Desktop (540s) is able to use dual monitors?

When I perform a search on "ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB" on Dell's site. It shows two cards, one made by Diamond and another made by VisionTEK. The VisionTEK one has cables for dual monitor support while the Diamond "does not appear" to support dual monitors.

So which one is included when you build a Studio Slim and choose this video card option? If it's neither, does the one that come with it support dual monitors?

Thanks!

9.3K Posts

October 13th, 2009 15:00

Unless it says dual monitor I would assume it doesn't. As for those Diamond and Visiontek cards, they aren't what you'd get. Those cards are "retail" (branded) cards, where the ones that ship in Dell PCs (or any other vendor's PC usually) are "OEM" cards (could be any brand).

18 Posts

November 12th, 2009 11:00

I am pretty sure the 4350 supports two monitors - one DVI and one VGA connector.

3.7K Posts

November 13th, 2009 02:00

Hi, When I got my 530s it could only support 1 monitor, but dell supplied 'Y' splinter cable for 2 monitors. See Here for dell 'Y' splinter cable.

18 Posts

November 13th, 2009 08:00

Are you able to support two DISCREET monitors (so that you can extend the desktop) with the splitter or does it merely clone the display?

3.7K Posts

November 13th, 2009 11:00

Hi, On my Vista OS,  I have 2 monitors icons on my taskbar, so I can flip from one to another.

2 Posts

December 8th, 2009 11:00

That sucks!! I really don't want to go the 3rd party route seeing as i bought the ATI card for the sole purpose that it was labeled to support dual monitors.

I wonder if the Dell tech support was talking about the VGA slot on the top of the console.  It's covered up with a cap, but it is separte from the video card inputs.  At least on my 540S computer it is.  Thats my next step is to try going dual monitors using one VGA to DVI converter and the other on the DVI slot on the video card.  It should be able to work the way i'm connecting with a DVI splitter though.  i have another computer that is running XP that this works fine on.  The only difference is I'm using a NVIDIA card on that computer, but that shouldn't make a difference.

3 Posts

I pretty much gave up. For starters, the ATI Radeon 4350 card that came with my computer only has a HDMI and a DVI plug. When I call Dell customer support, they insist that I have a "VGA" plug too. Like I'd lie about that!

I tried buying a splitter. But evidently, that one didn't fit either.

I ended up just buying another video card from a third party vendor and have dual monitor now. Very disappointed in Dell's customer service.

2 Posts

I'm having the same issue. I have a new DELL 540S with the ATI Radeon 4350 video card.  I want to connect dual monitors using DVI by the use of a y-splitter.  i have purchased two of these splitters and have only had luck with one. 

My problem is that I can only get a clone to show up on the second monitor.  And sometimes one of the monitors will go into powersave mode when plugged in.  Both monitors work fine when used individually.  I downloaded the latest ATI driver but still can not figure out how to set up the second monitor to identify as monitor 2.  I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong.

3 Posts

December 8th, 2009 12:00

I completely agree with you!

I bought it too because I wanted dual monitor capabilities and because it was labeled such on their website!

I just didn't have the time or energy to mess with them. In my case, I am lucky and was able to take the Dell supplied ATI card and put it into another system that didn't have a discrete video card.

If you do find a solution, please post it here. I'd like to know.

No Events found!