Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 17th, 2009 15:00

Does Studio 540 support XP virtualization (with Windows 7)?

About 6 months ago I purchased a Studio 540 Desktop.  It came with Vista.  The CPU is an Intel Core2 Quad Q8200.

I would like to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional so that I can use XP Virtualization.  I have verified that my CPU does NOT support virtualization technology.  However, the Intel Q9400 does support virtualization and from everything I can gather is a suitable replacement for the Q8200.  (There are current configuration options for purchasing a Studio 540 that include a Q9400.  Had I known back then about this problem, I would have delayed purchase or chosen a different CPU.)

I have also examined my BIOS settings but found there is no option for enabling virtualization.

I have several questions that I asked Dell but got three different answers and none of them answered the question I asked.

I asked what I would need to do to get virtualization on my machine.  Answer 1 from Dell was that I needed to upgrade the graphics card.  (The graphics card?  Really?)  Answer 2 was that the Q9400 is a suitable replacement but that I needed to check my BIOS.  I was not at my machine at the time and was unable to validate that I do NOT have an option to enable virtualization.  Answer 3 was that CPU replacement was not recommended (even though the Dell Studio 540 Server Manual provides instructions for how to do it).

Assuming I replace the Q8200 with a Q9400, how will I be able to enable the virtualization on the new CPU since it is not an available option in the BIOS?  Is the BIOS specific to a chip or to a motherboard?  Do I need to flash a new BIOS?  Is it even an option with the Studio 540 BIOS?

I can't get a straight answer from Dell on whether or not virtualization is supported on a Studio 540.

Does anyone have a Studio 540 desktop that is running Windows 7 and successfully using XP virtualization?

31 Posts

December 5th, 2009 18:00

Get a straight answer from Dell? that's a joke right? In my experience, the chance of that happening is about 1 in 20 and even then it will be only partially correct. I'd put a little smiley face here but it's not funny.....

Anyway, I have a Studio 540 and I'm wondering the same thing. I want to find out if this machine is a total dead end box before buying a new processor though.

I'm investigating 'VirtualBox" from Sun. it's supposed to do the same thing, but I think you need a complete copy of XP already (I have it, just without SP3 so i don't know if it's going to be a problem).

We're wasting our time hoping Dell will be forthcoming with anything. they sold the box, now they're done with us...

More info... I looked through the bios and there's no option for VT. I don't expect that will change just by adding a new processor, but perhaps the bios can sense the VT in the processor and act accordingly? Improbable, but not impossible...

2 Posts

April 29th, 2010 19:00

I have successfully installed XP Virtualization on my Studio 540 decktop running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.  Not thanks to Dell.  Microsoft has removed the hardware requirement so there was no need to have a chip that support virtualization nor a need to enable anything in BIOS.  Refer to this article for information.  You will need to install something from Microsoft that removes the hardware requirement.  After that just install the xp virtual machine.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/microsoft_removes_hardware_virtualization_requirement_xp_mode

So far I have successfully installed in my virtual XP machine my old scanner software and scanned correctly and the old MusicMatch Jukebox.  Next up is the software for my Palm Pilot III (yes I know I need to get into the 21st century).  I'm hoping that the USB to serial adapter I just purchased will let me setup my cradle.

No Events found!