Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 23rd, 2013 23:00

Dual monitor support with Dell Optiplex 990 and Intel HD 2000 graphics

Hi all,

I am having issues with a Dell Optiplex 990 desktop computer.  It has Intel HD integrated graphics.  The ports on the back of the computer include 1 VGA port and 1 DisplayPort.

My intention was to hook a monitor up to each of those ports and have a dual monitor setup.  I have done something similar with a Dell Optiplex 9010 that I own, and it worked just fine on that machine.  Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be working at all for the Dell Optiplex 990.

In addition, it doesn't seem as though the "Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel" is installed anywhere on the computer, because it doesn't show up when I search for it or right-click on the desktop.  

I initially posted on Intel's forums (here is the link to my post: http://communities.intel.com/message/200581#200581).  I told them that I had attempted to install their latest drivers, but to no avail - it didn't change anything.  They told me to try Dell's drivers found at this link: 

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/optiplex-990?driverId=XGPWM&osCode=W764&fileId=3171545383&languageCode=EN&categoryId=VI

So I tried the drivers found on Dell's site, but still nothing.

Is there any way to get this to work?  Does anyone have any insights they can provide?

(1) Why won't the computer recognize the 2nd monitor?

(2) Why doesn't the "Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel" show up?

(3) What options do I have?

Thanks for any help,

David

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

July 24th, 2013 00:00

Hi theilkhan,

You will need to enable ‘Multi - Display’ in the BIOS and then you will be able to connect one monitor to the integrated GPU on the motherboard and other monitor to the DVI port of discrete GPU on the system. Please follow the steps mentioned below to enable ‘Multi- Display’ in BIOS.

1. Turn on or restart the computer.
  2. Immediately at the Dell logo screen, starting tapping the key once a second until the BIOS screen pops up.
  3. Using the arrow keys on the Keyboard navigate to ‘Advanced’ tab.
  4. Please Click on the ‘Onboard Device configuration’ Option.
  5. Please enable the Intel Multi-Display.
  6. Press F10 and Save changes and restart the computer.

This is in relation with the three questions you have asked. Please let me know if this helps.

4 Posts

July 24th, 2013 08:00

That will not work.  The computer does not have a discrete graphics card.  It only has the integrated Intel HD graphics.

Intel's documentation states that their Intel HD 2000 graphics supports multiple displays:

www.intel.com/.../CS-031040.htm

On most computers (such as the Dell Optiplex 9010 which I also have), all I have to do is plug one monitor into the VGA and the other monitor into the DisplayPort (BOTH of which are run off of Intel HD graphics, not a discrete graphics card), and I should have dual display abilities.  I want to know why this is not working for the Optiplex 990.

Also, the BIOS does not contain any option for "Multiple Displays".  I presume that that option only appears if you have a discrete graphics card installed, because it doesn't show up on my PC's bios.

4 Posts

July 24th, 2013 18:00

In addition, this Dell document says that the Intel HD graphics supports mutliple displays:

www.dell.com/.../optiplex-990-customer-brochure.pdf

On page 28, it says it has multiple display support.

Does anyone have any answer as to:

(1) Why "Multiple Displays" does not show up in my BIOS?  I was running BIOS version A11.  I upgraded to BIOS version A17 today...it didn't help.

(2) Why the computer fails to recognize that a 2nd monitor is hooked up?

(3) Why, after I have installed the Intel HD 2000 graphics driver, there is still no Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel?

4 Posts

July 24th, 2013 23:00

Here is some more information regarding my problem.

When I click on "Advanced Settings" in the display properties, everything about the video adapter is unknown, and the driver is the VgaSave driver EVEN THOUGH I definitely installed the latest Intel HD drivers (I have tried both the ones from Intel's website and the ones from Dell's website).  Picture:

In addition, when I look in the device manager, the Intel HD driver seems to claim that there are not enough resources for it.  Picture:

Any ideas on what could be causing all of this?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

July 26th, 2013 00:00

Hi theilkhan,

I see that Intel HD graphics video card is giving Code 12 error on the system. I would like you to connect only one monitor on the system and check if you are finding the error on the Video card.

Also, Let me check with my resources and get back to you in regards with dual monitor display support.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

July 30th, 2013 03:00

Hi theilkhan,

I would suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the video card driver on the system. Please follow the steps mentioned below to uninstall the video card in safe mode.

1. Start the system in Safe mode.

2. Click on Start button.

3. In the search box type devmgmt.msc and then press enter.

4. Select the graphics card device and right click on it

5. Now select properties.

6. In the properties window, under Driver tab, click on Uninstall button.

7. Check “Delete the driver software for this device.”

8. You want to delete the driver click OK.

After the uninstall finishes restart the system. Then reinstall the video card driver on the system for issue resolution. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS, then download the video card driver from Video section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/ZaQuel

Please let me know if this helps.

1 Message

August 27th, 2013 10:00

I am also having this problem, but for me, the computer won't boot with 2 monitors plugged into it. I have to unplug one (doesn't matter which, VGA or dP) to even get the computer to boot.

I will be trying this fix and will report back with my findings...

February 2nd, 2014 19:00

I am having a similar problem.  I recently purchased an Optiplex 3010  with the onboard Intel HD graphics chip with VGA and HDMI outputs.   When I plug in a VGA and a DVI monitor using a HDMI/DVI adapter, the display flickers between these two monitors.  It acts very erratically.  I am able to change the settings in the media control panel to clone the monitors but the settings won't stick.  I have updated the graphics drivers, the bios, and the chipset and that didn't help.  i got Dell involved and they simply concluded that it's a bad motherboard.  They said they would send me a replacement mobo.  I don't know if it's. worth the trouble replacing it.

Omar

1 Message

December 21st, 2015 15:00

I recently acquired a refurbished Dell Optiplex 990 Service Tag <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy> and purchased 2 displays for it. I would like to have these displays extend, but do not see any option to do this. Both will work, but are dual displays not extended. Will the hardware in this machine support this? If so, how do I make it work?

Thanks for your help.

No Events found!