Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 14th, 2009 11:00

E510 Power switch button doesn't work

I have navigated through a fix to the 'blinking amber light' tracing the problem to a shorted I/O board causing a power supply failure. I have replace the power supply and I/O board and have the computer working except that the power switch button no longer has any 'spring' to it. After I depress the button it doesn't 'spring' back and it remain in contact with the switch on the I/O board. I have gotten around the problem by changing the BIOS settings to automatically start the computer after AC is restored. My new power supply has an on/off switch so that if I turn off the computer during shutdown, when I reapply power the computer will turn. If it goes through a normal Windows power off I cannot restart the computer because I cannot 'depress' the switch on the I/O board by pushing on the button on the outside of the case. I have thought of getting a new fron cover but wondered if there was any easier fix.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 14th, 2009 17:00

melnick555,

Call Dell Spare Parts 1-800-372-3355. Ask for part number X8637 Front Bezel Assembly (includes Power Button).

2 Posts

April 14th, 2009 18:00

I can buy a Front Bezel assembly on Ebay for 30% of the amount that Dell charges.  I was wondering whether this is the only alternative.  It is surprising that this 'failed' at the same time as the I/O board.  Is there any 'secret' on putting this board back into the computer/  Seems straightforward, just one screw.

No Events found!