Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

February 18th, 2010 14:00

E510 Processor and motherboard

Can anyone tell me what processors will work with my E510? Currently I have a pentium D 3.00 Processor  and was wondering what Chips the motherboard supported and if there was a better chip i could install. are they

I already upgraded my power supply, ram and video card, so now looking to see if a processor upgrade is possible.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 18th, 2010 15:00

E510 manual <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>says:

Intel® Pentium® 4 5XXX and 6XXX processors with Hyper-Threading technology

Level 1 (L1) cache 16 KB

Level 2 (L2) cache  1 MB for Pentium 5XXX processors

Level 2 (L2) cache   2 MB for Pentium 6XXX processors

Ron

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 18th, 2010 15:00

I have an E510.

A Pentium D at 3.0 is about the best you can do.  The E510's will accept up to a D945 Processor.  The Intel site says a D960 for this chipset but the Dell's will not work with the D960.  There have been posts about this on the old Dell users forum.  I upgraded mine (almost two years ago) from the original D805 to a D925 CPU and to be truthful it was a waste of $$, there was no difference in PC speed that I could detect.

The E510 is a BTX style system (very little available for BTX most motherboards are ATX style) and with the Dell proprietary and undocumented front panel connection there isn't anything else that can be used without extensive electronics knowledge to wire the front panel connections.  The E510 is the at the age (for computers) that upgrading is not really cost effective and it's best to put the upgrading $$ into a new, modern technology, PC.  If my E510 were to fail it will not be repaired.

13 Posts

February 18th, 2010 18:00

Fireberd,

Thanks for the info. After posting my question I started searching the forum for older posts and came across those same answers. I will probably just save my pennies and put it into a new system sometime down the line. This system is running "ok" at the moment so was just looking at options a tweak here and a turn there....

13 Posts

February 19th, 2010 13:00

Dell is telling me I can add :Prescott P4 Kit, 650, 3.4G, 800FSB, 2MB  to my 510  how would that compare to to my D 3.0? Would i see any improvement in things like video playback and multitasking lag ?

No Events found!