Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 8th, 2007 21:00

E510 Random Reboots

This is a customers pc, so i cant be sure what all was done to it in the past. He brought it in saying it would randomly reboot, usually before the bios even loads, so it isnt a software issue. he also said he contacted dell support and they recommended having a computer repair shop (me) replace the thermal compound, which i did using high grade thermal compound. the system initially booted and ran for about 10 minutes, when some monitoring software i installed asked to reboot to finish the install. since then, lights 3 4 and HD come on for a second, power turns orange, then it shuts down. after about a second it tries again. i have also replaced the power supply. any ideas on what to do next?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 8th, 2007 21:00

Lights 3 and 4 indicate a memory problem - whether it's one module or just that the memory modules need reseated. 

The users manual, with all the error codes, is available on line.  Click Technical Support at the top of this page, then enter the model number and you can access the manual (and downloads).

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 9th, 2007 17:00

ok, cleaned and reseated the ram, and got it to boot to windows. after about a minute, it just turned off, then a few seconds later turned on, then back off. also to note, 2 days ago theres an event log of "out of range: cpu0 temperature" and as i said in my first post, i replaced it using high quality thermal compound. i even tried re applying it today to be sure i didnt have a bad application. so a summery of its behavior is first thing in the morning, it will run for about a minute, and after that your lucky to see the bios screen. *edit* i just noticed a message "previous attempts to boot this system failed at checkpoint ithr."

Message Edited by De ll hater on 05-09-2007 03:05 PM

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 9th, 2007 19:00

De ll hater

Have you tried this,

"If you have two or more memory modules installed, remove the modules, reinstall one module, and then restart the computer. If the computer starts normally, reinstall an additional module. Try different motherboard slots.
Continue until you have identified a faulty module or reinstalled all modules without error.
If available, install properly working memory of the same type into your computer".

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 9th, 2007 22:00

yes and ive also tried different ram of the same speed and type. *edit* sending the P O S back to Dell.... its just under a year old and looks to be a cpu or motherboard burnout Message Edited by De ll hater on 05-11-2007 11:36 AM

Message Edited by De ll hater on 05-11-2007 11:37 AM
No Events found!