Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 21st, 2011 13:00

E521 WIN XP Home Sp3 - How do I install the slave drive? How to install a DVD bruner? Upgrade ram?

Just compleated reformatting the master drive and now looking to install a new slave drive. I know how to physically install the HD I but need to know how to format it if needed. System is XP Home , SATA, SP3. I believe that the slave should be formatted NTFS correct? I would like to lable the slave drive D:

Also taking the original CD burner and moving it to the second bay and will be installing a new DVD/CD burner to the top bay. Is that simple plug and play? Label that E:

Last but not least upgrading the 1/2 gig ram to 4gb using 4x1gb sticks, is that also a simple plug and play? Label that F:

TIA,

J

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 22nd, 2011 15:00

Went with promary and it went well. last question I installed 4x1 gb ram sticks but it only shows up as 3.43gb under the general tab?

escorial

If you have a 32-bit system the amount of memory shown is correct, a 32-bit system, does not recognize 4gb of memory, 3±gb is all a 32-bit system can address.

Basically what it means is, while you can install 4gb of memory in the system, the reason it’s not recognized is mainly due to 32-bit processors and/or 32-bit applications on memory address limitations.

64-bit processors & operating systems will recognize beyond the 32-bit limitation.

Bev.

416 Posts

November 21st, 2011 13:00

Sorry that was label the 2nd bay CD burner to be labeled F:

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 21st, 2011 15:00

escorial

How to add a second SATA hard drive.

Basically all you need, is a 24" [or longer] x 180* x 90* [right angle] SATA data cable, similar as the unit HERE , try to buy the cable from a local computer store, to save the S&H.

The details for installing the second hard drive are  HERE.

After the internal hard drive is installed, enter the Setup and check that the drive is set to auto [on]. In order for windows to recognize the second hard drive, it must be partitioned and formatted, using Windows Disk Management, see HERE

Details of the System Setup are HERE.

Use one of the SATA power connectors [P3, P5, P8 and P9] inside the case, see HERE for details.

Using NTFS is correct.

After installing the second optical drive, it's basically P & P, but check the System Setup, that the drive is set to 'on' [enabled] and is recognized. You will need a SATA data cable for the drive, there should be a spare SATA power connector already inside the case.

Regards to the memory, again it's basically P & P, providing you have the correct compatible modules to install and modules are installed correctly and after installing check the System Setup, to see if the memory is recognized.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 21st, 2011 15:00

escorial

Details for changing Drive Letter Assignments in Windows XP, are HERE

Note: Changing the drive letter of the boot volume C: / is not a built-in feature of the Disk Management.

Bev.

416 Posts

November 21st, 2011 18:00

Will install in the am and repoty back

416 Posts

November 21st, 2011 18:00

Tbanks all, forgot to mention already ordere the sata cable also

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 21st, 2011 19:00

escorial

Good luck .

Bev.

416 Posts

November 22nd, 2011 14:00

Sorry lost in disc partition wizard, I plugged in the HD and it was recognized right away in the disc management. it shows Dics 1 online and unallocated. Here is where I get lost. when I open the New Partition Wizard it ask if I want to creat a extended partition or a extended one. I read the Dell install link and its above me. I want this disc to be a slave drive named D: in NTFS I believe, to be used as a slave drive. HELP!

416 Posts

November 22nd, 2011 14:00

Went with promary and it went well. last question I installed 4x1 gb ram sticks but it only shows up as 3.43gb under the general tab?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 22nd, 2011 15:00

Sorry lost in disc partition wizard, I plugged in the HD and it was recognized right away in the disc management. it shows Dics 1 online and unallocated. Here is where I get lost. when I open the New Partition Wizard it ask if I want to creat a extended partition or a extended one. I read the Dell install link and its above me. I want this disc to be a slave drive named D: in NTFS I believe, to be used as a slave drive. HELP!

escorial

You can find the information for partitioning a new second hard drive in Windows XP, HERE

Regards to the assigned Drive letters, with the exception of C: /, A: /, and B: / you can change these to suit your requirements after partitioning the new second hard drive, I've already posted a link with the procedures for this.

Bev.

No Events found!