Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 30th, 2010 12:00

E521 Will not switch on

I have just got back offof holiday and switched my PC on, it started but one of the fans made a lot of noise and then it switched itsekf off again. I have removed the cover and I can see a light on the motherboard and when I press the on switch both the power pack fan and the Chip cooling fan start but then the PC turns straight off again. It wasworking fine prior to going on holiday. I appreciate that this may have raised its head before but I have been unable to find anyone with a similar problem. I assume that as there is a light on the motherboard it is not the powerpack but as the noise was quite loud I wonder if it is in fact the problem. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

cashsteve

Is the power button LED, solid green, blinking green, solid amber, or blinking amber?

Check the reading of Diagnostic Lights on the front panel.

Are there any errors messages, or 'Beeps'?

The e521 Diagnostic Codes and Troubleshooter is  HERE.

Bev.

5 Posts

The power button is amber for the very short period that it is on and I get just two further green lights on the front, all of them go off within a few seconds and the pc switches off. It only beeps once, is that of any help?

Thanks

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 30th, 2010 13:00

cashsteve

The LED on the motherboard is the 'Stand By Power Light' [aka 'flea power'] and only indicates the motherboard has 'some' power reaching it, not an indication that the power supply has not failed.

If you are comfortable working around computers, you could try the following:

Note: The only 100% method of testing a PSU, is to install a know working power supply.

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 24-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and power the system, if power supply's fan and the hard drive run, then the PSU should be good.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Power supply checks out and the system still does not work, again remove the power cord, hold the power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power, reconnect the 24-pin connector to the motherboard.

Remove all the PCI cards, the video card [if applicable], memory, all peripherals, disconnect the data and power cables to all the drives, check that the front panel cable is connected to motherboard, with nothing else connected to the system, reconnect the power cable and power the system on.

If you do not get any beep codes and/or there is no change in the diagnostic lights, then it would appear that the motherboard has died.

Bev.

5 Posts

July 31st, 2010 01:00

Thanks for that, I have done as suggested and it looks as though my motherboard has died but, what i dont understand is the noise prior to it failing. It sounded very much like a noisy fan. Would it be possible that if the CPU fan wasnot woking properly it would prevent the system from starting? sorry but I want to elliminate all things before I purchase a new board. Also I can see no problem with the fitting but what about reinstalling windows etc, is that straight forward as normal?  Sorry to be a pain with this.

No Events found!