Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

February 17th, 2010 13:00

E521 will not boot up stays in save power mode

Help--my Dimension e521 will not boot up, it stays in power mode with the fan running and the amber light on--I have powered off and on-and same problem--anyone have any answers or suggestions--?? Thanks in advance if so--

snowmannn

5 Posts

February 17th, 2010 14:00

No diagnostic lights lit on the front of the tower. Just the amber light and the fan just keeps running? So what the manual says is to go to the memory cards ( I am assuming that the memory cards are the same as modules) and pull them out and reinsert them? Is that right? I am not sure which are memory and which are not--if I crack it open are they labeled? I am only a novice at this.

Thanks

Jeremy

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 17th, 2010 14:00

An steady amber (not blinking amber) power light indicates some type of motherboard or device attached to the motherboard failure.  Do you get any of the four diagnostic lights lit on the front of the tower? 

The Dell Manual  HERE  says to reseat the memory modules and any video or other cards installed and to see if that makes a difference.

5 Posts

February 17th, 2010 15:00

Okay so I just read in the manual how to take out the memory cards. But from what you said I assume I just take them out and reinsert them right? Anything else or other suggestions?

Thanks

Snowmannn

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 17th, 2010 16:00

Hi Snowmann:

Yes, remove and reinstall them.

5 Posts

February 18th, 2010 07:00

Okay--so I just realized that there is a diagnostics light on. It looks like it is over the 3 and it looks like a cylinder.--Does that change what I should do as far as removing and reinstalling or does that mean something else needs to happen. I assume so, I just dont know what?

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 18th, 2010 12:00

Light 3, according to the Dell manual is a possible processor (CPU) failure. 

Considering the possibility of the CPU or even the motherboard failure, you may want to take this to a PC repair shop to confirm.  If it's the CPU, that is a standard item and can be relatively easily replaced.  If it's the motherboard, only another Dell E521 motherboard will fit.  There are places on the internet that sell used/refurbished motherboards  HERE is one that I found doing a google search (they happen to be in Austin where Dell HQ is).

5 Posts

February 19th, 2010 08:00

Okay so how do I replace the CPU?

THanks

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 28th, 2013 04:00

Hi Bighow47,

Please describe the problem and also check the diagnostic lights for me.

6 Posts

Help--my Dimension e521 will not boot up, it stays in power mode with the fan running and the amber light on--I have powered off and on-and same problem--anyone have any answers or suggestions--?? Thanks in advance if so--

snowmannn

6 Posts

hi I have an E520 with the same problem

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 28th, 2013 06:00

Ok, good news. You appear to have a RAM failure. That's just about the easiest possible thing to fix. Your E520 has four slots, but you may have either two memory modules or four modules. The way to sort out the bad one is to remove all four, then try one at a time. When you get to the bad one, the system will fail to boot and you'll get lights 3 and 4 again. What you need to do is replace the bad one.

Let me know how you make out.

6 Posts

Hi,

When starting the PC the monitor goes from green to amber with a black screen.When the menu button  is pressed on the monitor a message appears

"analogue input,in power save mode,press any key or move the mouse to continue" when this action is performed the screen reverts to black again.

I have thought about connecting to the internet and downloading the monitor driver.Would this work?regards

6 Posts

Sorry,forgot to say that diagnostic lights 3 and 4 are lit.Thanks

6 Posts

December 28th, 2013 08:00

Sorry,forgot to say that diagnostic lights 3 and 4 are lit.Thanks

6 Posts

December 28th, 2013 08:00

Thanks for that,Whether I am capable of sorting the RAM will remain to be seen,but I have a friend who will certainly know what you are talking about.Thanks H.

No Events found!