Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 23rd, 2010 08:00

Fan Control on Optiplex 960

Is there any kind of fan control for the Optiplex 960 tower? 

The fan ROARS all day.  The entire office hates it.  Everyone notices how remarkably quiet the office gets when I turn it off.  

I've tried both BIOS settings to no avail.   I've tried recently updating the BIOS to A06.  No change.

I've tried using SpeedFan, which can't see any fan devices at all (running Windows 7).

March 15th, 2010 14:00

I recently updated the BIOS to A06, and it won't let me change the Boot Sequence.  I tried to back off the BIOS to A05, and it won't let me - saying it's an older level.

I suspect a bug somewhere in A06, but it sure would be nice if it could be backed off!!

Something you might try is to download the diagnostic from the Optiplex 960 Download area, and put that to a CD.  It has a diagnostic for the fan, and it'll at least tell you if the fan is working properly.  Boot from that, and go to Custom Tests.  There is a test for the fan on there.

5 Posts

March 31st, 2010 02:00

My friend I'm also facing same problem.

I replaced Motherboard , PowerSupply , Processor , Memory , Heatsink , Fan unit  & HDD .Updated Bios from A05 to A06.Done all Diagnostics tests.All tests passed including FAN tests.

Called Dell ,,,,, No Solutions from Dell

How to Solve this Problem...

How to control the fan speed......

5 Posts

March 31st, 2010 02:00

My friend I'm also facing same problem.

I replaced Motherboard , PowerSupply , Processor , Memory , Heatsink , Fan unit  & HDD .Updated Bios from A05 to A06.Done all Diagnostics tests.All tests passed including FAN tests.

Called Dell ,,,,, No Solutions from Dell

How to Solve this Problem...

5 Posts

March 31st, 2010 05:00

Dear User ,

OPtiplex 960 High fan Noise problem solved.

Replacing the Fan Sensor unit solves the problem.

Dell part no : R434D

its a new unit comes with 960...connector next to FAN & Audio.

all d best

David

Zawawi Business Machines

OMAN

3 Posts

August 13th, 2010 14:00

I found on the 960 there are two fans, one right in front of the CPU and the other inside the power supply.  For my fan noise problem it was due to a defective power supply fan running at full speed.  I replaced the power supply and the 960 Optiplex is as quite as the first day I got it.

February 1st, 2011 13:00

I recently updated the BIOS to A06, and it won't let me change the Boot Sequence. I tried to back off the BIOS to A05, and it won't let me - saying it's an older level.

I suspect a bug somewhere in A06, but it sure would be nice if it could be backed off!!

Something you might try is to download the diagnostic from the Optiplex 960 Download area, and put that to a CD. It has a diagnostic for the fan, and it'll at least tell you if the fan is working properly. Boot from that, and go to Custom Tests. There is a test for the fan on there.

It's very detailed, It helps me out of the problem, Thanks for your instruction!

1 Message

May 22nd, 2011 20:00

I am having the same problem. This just started a couple of days ago. My front fan seems to be spinning really fast for some odd reason. Any sugestions? This computer is two years old.

3 Posts

May 22nd, 2011 22:00

Might be a bad thermal sensor, unfortunately it's hard to tell.  I was fortunate as I have spare parts to swap out.  Othewirse, it will be hard to pinpoint the root casue.

The sensor is mounted on the front grill, it's a tiny thing with a wire back to the motherboard.  You may also try to clean it and make sure there are no dust build up. 

2 Posts

February 24th, 2012 12:00

I just unplugged the faulty temperature sensor. It's the little black thing that's attached to the inside front of the chassis. After I unplugged it, the fan slowly spun down to normal speed.

February 10th, 2014 03:00

Teniralch, I have done this also on my Dell Optiplex 960 Series, and the fan immediately reduced its noise output, making a much less loud draining noise. Its probably best to replace the R434D temp sensor instead of unplugging it, but for now it will do.

THE DRAINING NOISE HAS GONE!! :emotion-2: this fix works. the wire runs along the side of the case.

cheers

bobby wolfsburg

No Events found!