Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 16th, 2005 23:00

Fan Failure Alert Problem

there is a reason I'm getting a fan failure alert now at boot up. I have removed my stock fan from my 4550. I replaced my computer case with a new custom one. Anyone know the process on how to get this error to keep from popping up at boot up? I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

70 Posts

August 16th, 2005 23:00

Dell uses a proprietary fan with a connection that reports its operational status to the system. If you use another fan, that reporting doesn't take place, so you get the bootup error. There are a couple of things you can try, if there is room you can mount the old fan somewhere inside the case, just so its plugged in. Otherwise, provided the error doesn't shut down the system, you could just ignore the error. There is no way to shut it off in the bios.

7 Posts

August 17th, 2005 00:00

thanks for the reply, I read somewhere online about making a jumper wire inside that fan connector. But the instrustion wern't all that clear to me.

1 Message

August 17th, 2005 06:00

Hi,

With my Dimension 3000 I did the same as you. To make an end to the terrible noise it produces on hot days, I replaced the fan and made a duct. Very effective! Now I have the same alert as you described. You mentioned making a "jumper"

Can you profide me with that info?

Thanks!

Dugyot

9.4K Posts

August 17th, 2005 11:00

Here are a couple of other forum postings related to modifying the plug on several Dell models.  You may find the information useful.

Click here.                 Click here.

7 Posts

August 18th, 2005 01:00

Majestic,

Hey thanks for the info on the fan failure threads. Read them and got my problem fixed. The black and the white wire (wires 1 and 3) need to be tied together. Problem fixed. No fan failure message now at boot up. Works great. Thanks again for your help :smileyhappy:

29 Posts

April 10th, 2006 22:00

Done did it!!!  Bought a 92 mm TriCool Antec.  It has a separate RPM sole wire indicator with a plug at the end.  Dell's proprietary business model doesn't allow it to plug into the mobo black plastic socket which came with the computer.  So in defiance I pulled off the mobo plug with long nose pliers and then I rotated the new fan's plug so it would line up with the white signal wire and it sliped on without problems!!!!!!!!!  No wiring, soldering, jumper wires or what not, and no f1 boot error.  The cool thing about this fan is that it has a high/med/low switch which allows one to set the rpms from 1200-2050 rpms.  Why do you people insist on doing things the hard way!  Fan is very quiet!!!
No Events found!