Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 5th, 2012 10:00

Feasibility of fitting a solid state drive (SSD) to a Dimension 2400 PC

1. Most will know that the Dimension pc's are about 8 years old and the Model 2400 was factory fitted with a 40GB HDD.

2. Whilst  I have retrofitted a 160GB HDD and still the computer has little stored on it, the bootup and general switching about is slow. I am thinking of fitting an SSD.

3. Can any wizz kids help by answering the following please???

3.1  Electronically and physically can an SSD be installed.

3.2  An SSD will speed up all processes - will it or won't it.

3.3  Is an SSD now cost effective.

3.4  I am considering this upgrade rather than another machine as a change there will not mean an SSD will be fitted.

4.0  I have a very modern computer to use based upon thermionic valves - keeps the room warm!!!!!!!

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

November 3rd, 2016 21:00

Could you clarify the statement,  "and, if you want the front panel hard drive activity light to work, you'll need to route an LED from the pins on the card to the front panel."?

If you want the Hard Drive Activity LED on the front of the chassis to blink as it blinks with the onboard IDE, you will most likely need to replace the existing LED with a third-party one. It's done easily enough, and you can mail-order replacements from China through eBay.

I have never tried one of the bridges, and cannot vouch for their efficacy. I have, however, used PCI SATA cards with the Dimension 2350 and 3000, with excellent results.

565 Posts

November 5th, 2012 11:00

Hi cdtUK,

SSD works on SATA II ports and Dimension 2400 does not have any SATA ports on the motherboard.

Here is the link for all the information for SSD: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive

Also, providing the manual for Dimension 2400: <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

For any clarifications please feel free to contact me.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

November 5th, 2012 19:00

3. Can any wizz kids help by answering the following please???

3.1  Electronically and physically can an SSD be installed.

3.2  An SSD will speed up all processes - will it or won't it.

3.3  Is an SSD now cost effective.

3.4  I am considering this upgrade rather than another machine as a change there will not mean an SSD will be fitted.

You'll need another drive cage unless you dispense with the current hard drive, and as you'll likely be getting a 2.5" SSD, you'll need a good adapter like one of these as an adapter. You'll need a SATA adapter, and as the PCI bus is limited anyways, this is among the most cost-effective solutions. And, if you want the front panel hard drive activity light to work, you'll need to route an LED from the pins on the card to to the front panel.

You can expect a noticeable boost in performance with an SSD over a traditional hard drive, even with the slower SATA-150 interface. If you want to go further, a motherboard swap is a more cost-effective solution.

5 Posts

October 31st, 2016 22:00

Could you clarify the statement,  "and, if you want the front panel hard drive activity light to work, you'll need to route an LED from the pins on the card to the front panel."?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 1st, 2016 17:00

You don't need anything special.  You need an IDE to SATA bridge like the ADP-06 then you need a SilverStone SDP09 adapter to convert 2.5 to 3.5

However you would be much better off spending $100 on a newer model that will be faster in all respects starting with Optiplex GX620 and Up.  The cost of windows 7 alone is $119 for home and $199 for PRO.  7 or 8 or 10.

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Optiplex-755-Desktop-Bundle/dp/B00UQTP0KK

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817997023

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812226024

5 Posts

November 9th, 2016 12:00

What brand of SATA card do you recommend and does it come with XP drivers?

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

November 9th, 2016 21:00

Try this.

5 Posts

November 11th, 2016 11:00

5 Posts

Does this card have XP drivers with it?

5 Posts