Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 14th, 2011 11:00

Funny mouse troubles

My power went off yesterday while i was away from home and when i returned home and rebooted the computer my mouse would not work.  I have tried everything...a different mouse, a different usb port, unplugged all other devices except the keyboard, rebooted several times...nothing. My keyboard is also usb and is working fine.  The mouse shows up in devices and says that it is working correctly, the drivers show to be up to date.  Has anyone ever heard of this problem.  This is very frustrating lol.  Im running Windows Vista.  Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 14th, 2011 13:00

Always include your PC model number and Operating System on ANY initial problem post.  There are too many different Dell's and we can't provide specific advice reference your system. 

Two things to try,

1. Reset the BIOS (CMOS) memory and see if this helps.  With the PC powered off, open the case and remove the CR2032 backup battery on the motherboard for at least 5 minutes.  Reinstall the battery, observing battery polarity, then power on and see if the mouse works. 

2.  If the BIOS reset did not help, Go to the Windows Device Manager and "uninstall" the mouse - RIGHT click on the entry for the mouse, then LEFT click Uninstall.  Restart the PC and when Windows starts it should detect and reinstall the mouse.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 14th, 2011 13:00

There are malware that hijack the windows installer service.

USB Malware usually jumps on from autorun on usb flash drives.

UNPLUG AND REALLY TURN OFF.

I had someone tell me they restarted when all they did was hybernate and wake.

Turn it on with Keyboard and mouse attached.

Let it sit at the login screen for 30 min.

Come back and see if it logs in.

If it does.

Then Move the mouse to each and every usb port EXCEPT the one the keyboard is on.

Then Move the Keyboard to each and every usb port Except the one the mouse is on.

Until you have round robin detected the mouse and keyboard on every port.

Then when you boot the next time it will "find" the devices automatically.

If its not working after 30 min then you have malware that has disabled the windows installer.

Systems  infected with USB related viruses and malware will lose mouse and keyboard detection.

After complete reinstall of windows try to disable the auto run feature to prevent further infection and get antivirus software.

Microsoft Security Essentials is free.

Understanding USB Malware - us.trendmicro.com

No Events found!