Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 28th, 2013 14:00

Gigabyte GTX 770 2GB connection in old XPS 700/720

What is the best way to connect the XPS 700/720, 1kW power supply to the Gbte. GV-N770OC-2GB GeForce GTX 770 2GB WindForce 3X 450W Video Card?

In my XPS 700/720, there are four 6-pin Male Graphics Card connectors from the power supply.   Two, the first, P3, marked 6A (6 Amp?) uses 3 Blue/Yellow wires from 12 volt circuit "E".   And P4,marked 6A (6 Amp?) uses 3 Blue/Yellow wires from 12 volt circuit "E" also.    Then the other two 6-pin Graphics Card connectors, P15, marked 10A (10 Amp ?) uses 3 White wires from 12 volt circuit "B".   While P16, marked 10A (10 Amp?) uses 3 Blue/White wires from 12 volt circuit "C".   Per the power supply label, each of these four 12 volt circuits will handle 18 Amps each.  

How do I connect which one(s) to the 8-pin female connection on the GTX 770 and to the 6-pin female connection on the GTX 770?

Can P15 and P16, the "B" and "C" 12 volt circuits, be paralleled from the 1kW power supply using a dual 6-pin to 8-pin adapter?   Or will just a 6-pin to 8-pin adapter from either one work.    Nvidia says the 8-pin connection requires 12 Amps. 

What do I need to connect the card?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 28th, 2013 15:00

tacoslammer                                                                                                                     

You need an 8-pin power connector, a 8-pin to Molex power connector adaptor is shipped with the card, this can be connected to a 4-pin Molex [P6/P7] connector attached to the power supply's wiring harness.

For the 6-pin connector, use either the P15, or P16, 6-pin connectors.

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_xps_desktop/xps-720_Owner%27s%20Manual_en-us.pdf

Note: The XPS 700/720 power supply is a Dell proprietary unit, there are no retail equivalent power supplies available.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 28th, 2013 20:00

tacoslammer

Dell has never published a schematic of their power supplies and as the XPS 700/720 systems are 'end of life', I serious doubt they ever will.

Regards to RAID, you should be fine.

Bev.

174 Posts

December 28th, 2013 19:00

tacoslammer                                                                                                                     

You need an 8-pin power connector, a 8-pin to Molex power connector adaptor is shipped with the card, this can be connected to a 4-pin Molex [P6/P7] connector attached to the power supply's wiring harness.

For the 6-pin connector, use either the P15, or P16, 6-pin connectors.

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_xps_desktop/xps-720_Owner%27s%20Manual_en-us.pdf

Note: The XPS 700/720 power supply is a Dell proprietary unit, there are no retail equivalent power supplies available.

Bev.

shesagordie:

Thank you.  Don't know if PS in the pure XPS 720 is the same as my XPS 700 that went through the motherboard exchange program.   I suspect it is.   The PS label says it is a Model N1000P -- 00.

I saw the Molex connector adapter that Gbte, includes with their GTX 770 OC.   I was not sure where to connect it.   You cleared that up for me, thanks.   However, I have a Memory Cooling Fan connected to P6 with a feed through Molex connector.   That may not be a problem as I do not think they draw much power.   Besides I think the fans are on the 5 volt circuit.  

Nvidia suggested connecting P3 & P4 6-pin connectors via an adapter to connect the12 volt circuits into one 8-pin male connector to the card.   Since both P3 & P4 use PS 12 volt circuit "E", there would not be a cross circuit problem.    Where as doing the same with P15 & P16 would connect 12 volt circuit "B" to 12 volt circuit "C".   I was not sure if that would work or not since those are apparently separate 12 volt sources.   In theory it should be OK but I don't have a schematic diagram of the power supply to check it out.   Getting such a schematic would be nice.   And since this is a 7 - 8 year old unit, Dell should make schematics available after 7-8 years!   My main issue is properly connecting the GTX 770 before I pop $300 + for a new card to replace both of my old 7900GS cards.

This has been a good PC after removing the Raid 0 initial setup after some issues started with the McAfee push out of a bad update.    I had to install Linux to get data off my drives.   Finally was able to reinstall Windows XP after splitting the Raid drives and one was found to have 7% bad sectors Dell repaired before installing the Raid before shipping the XPS 700 to me.   I installed a higher speed (10,000RPM) hard drive for the operating system (no solid state drive).    Anyhow, Windows 7 was recently installed with NO problems!!!  :emotion-1: 

While the Graphics card concern above is major and needs to be addressed FIRST, I do have a BIOS question.   Raid is still indicated as being turned "ON" for all my SATA drives even though nothing is connected in Raid.   Does that matter?   Should it be turned off in the BIOS?   Things seem to be working well as is.

Tom

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 28th, 2013 22:00

tacoslammer

Tom,

You are welcome.

I know how you fell about EOL systems that refuse to die, I have a 13 year old L Series that still keeps on going on, but the lack of XP support will probably kill it.

Have a great New Year.

Bev.

174 Posts

December 28th, 2013 22:00

Thanks for your assist Bev.     Getting a schematic was just a pie-in-the-sky kind of wish.   Thing is for an "end of life" PC this thing doesn't want to die!   Years back I had a Commodore 64.   It wouldn't die either.   Finally sold it to a small business, believe it or not.

I guess I'm good to go on the graphics card.   Will be interesting to see how it performs as a single card versus the SLI set up I have with the 7900GS cards now.   I know many more games, etc. will be possible and graphics should pop.   Hope I can see the difference.

Didn't think RAID ON or OFF in the BIOS would make any difference.   Hate to futz with the BIOS too much.

Tom

No Events found!