Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 16th, 2010 11:00

HDMI output on Inspiron 580 not functioning

Hello all,

Having a problem and have run out of ideas. I was hoping someone could point me in a new direction. I will try and be as discriptive as I can, let me know if you need additional information.

I am working on a new Dell Inspiron 580 desktop computer (windows 7) for a friend. It has a HDMI port that is part of the Intel H57 chipset. We are trying to clone the display first to a Samsung SyncMaster B2330 Computer monitor using the VGA out. Second, we are trying to send the signal to a Samsung UN46C6300SFXZA (an LED HDTV) using the HDMI output of the Inspiron to HDMI input on the TV. When using the "Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel" to clone the displays under the "Multiple Displays" section it appears that we are not getting a signal at the TV. The TV displays "No Signal - Check connected devices, power cable connection, and source selection". I am sure that the input selection on the TV is set correctly

Here are some things we've tried to no avail:

1)Tested the output with a 2nd HDMI cable
2)Tested output with a 2nd TV (although this TV was also a Samsung)
3)Updated the Chipset drivers, downloaded directly from Intel (the file was "WinVista7_64_15173" )
4)Upgraded the BIOS from A03 to A04
5)Endlessly played with multiple configurations in the "Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel"
6)Restored the computer to the Dell factory default settings. This erased all user changes.
7)I've contacted both Dell and Samsung technical support and so far have not found a solution.

I am out of ideas. One thing that I'd like to do that I don't know how is to test the HDMI port on the computer with some sort of software diagnostics. I haven't found anything like this in windows and was wondering if anyone knows of anything like this. A hardware tester is something like $300, a bit out of our price range. I would really like to get this HDMI port working - it was one of the main reasons my friend purchased this computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

881 Posts

August 11th, 2010 16:00

On my system when a discreet video card is installed the onboard HDMI port is disabled. There is no workaround for this. I am amazed you got the HDMI to work at all. It is possible that when the video card drivers start up the HDMI port quits.

Jeff :emotion-22:

6 Posts

August 11th, 2010 16:00

Hi there,  did you get anywhere with this?

I've got an Inspiron 580 with 4GB DDR3 and the H57 chipset on the motherboard.   I have a 22" VGA widescreen monitor and  a standard DVI 19" monitor plugged int the HDMI port on the motherboard.  Normally when I boot the two screens display the windows initalising but just as it goes to the login screen I only get the display on the VGA monitor.  Systems then continues to windows and doesn't recognise the second monitor.

I rolled back the driver and got the two screens working for a while perfectly. But on shutting down the machine and rebooting it reverted to the same problem where only one was active (the VGA one).  There isn't anything wrong with the physical connections as it does seem to work... seems to be the driver but even though I've updated it to the latest and tried older ones I'm still not getting stable HDMI out to the 19" monitor.

Any clues as to how to fix ths?

6 Posts

August 11th, 2010 17:00

Initially i thought the HDMI wouldn't work at all but i think with some of the updating and so on of the driver it now works at bootup.

One time when I was rolling back the driver to the previous (factory) version the HDMI port suddenly became active and detected the second monitor but after 5 minutes or so it disabled again.  When it was active it showed up on the Intel HD configuration page and I'd full control of the monitor resolution and position etc.

I wondering if I Dell should be doing something about this for me as the machine is only a week or so old.  I bought an ASUS EAH 4350 with HDMI, VGA and DVI outputs thinking this would get the two screens going but the PC wouldn't boot with this card in at all so i took it back and got a refund this evening.  I tried a Quatro NVidea card from my PC at work and it seemed to work fine so the PCI-Express is definetly intact and working.  I'm a bit dissapointed with the Inspiron  as it is sold as a Home desktop/media PC and doesn't support two monitors from its mother board outputs.

6 Posts

Yes that is exactly what I'm doing - running the Inspiron 580 without a discrete Graphics card and have a 22" 1980x1080 VGA monitor plugged into the 15-Way connector and my 19" 4:3 DVI monitor connected to the HDMI port.  Both running off the embedded Motherboard Graphics.

I've had some success so believe its possible but i cannot see it being stable at the moment and it normally goes just to the VGA at login.

881 Posts

Are you trying to run two monitors without a discreet video card?

Jeff

881 Posts

August 11th, 2010 19:00

I honestly don't know if what you propose is possible. I would think it is not. That is just opinion - I have never tried it. However for not very much money I would add a video card and avoid the headaches!!

Whatever the outcome is would you please post your results here? It may very well help other users in the future.

Good Luck.

Jeff

6 Posts

August 12th, 2010 02:00

Hi Jeff,

I'm away this evening for a few days holidays but will get onto Dell on my return early next week. If they cannot help I'll not hesitate to get myself another compatable entry level graphics card that hopefully will work with the motherboard. I'll post back when I get some progress as I can see that this is a reasonably common problem.

Sounds like the easiest solution is to buy a graphics card from the likes of Amazon (probably the HD5450 seen one going cheap).

February 18th, 2011 15:00

Initially i thought the HDMI wouldn't work at all but i think with some of the updating and so on of the driver it now works at bootup.

One time when I was rolling back the driver to the previous (factory) version the HDMI port suddenly became active and detected the second monitor but after 5 minutes or so it disabled again. When it was active it showed up on the Intel HD configuration page and I'd full control of the monitor resolution and position etc.

I wondering if I Dell should be doing something about this for me as the machine is only a week or so old. I bought an ASUS EAH 4350 with HDMI, VGA and DVI outputs thinking this would get the two screens going but the PC wouldn't boot with this card in at all so i took it back and got a refund this evening. I tried a Quatro NVidea card from my PC at work and it seemed to work fine so the PCI-Express is definetly intact and working. I'm a bit dissapointed with the Inspiron as it is sold as a Home desktop/media PC and doesn't support two monitors from its mother board outputs.

It's quite useful, Thanks for your effort! I got more deep understanding about this part.

1 Message

February 25th, 2012 22:00

I am having exactly this problem too - did you have any joy in the end?

6 Posts

February 26th, 2012 13:00

Oops wrong issue.... also had a memory issue with the Insprion.

As for the graphics card I just ebayed the one I bought initially and went for a diffreent branded one.. the HD5450 as mentioned above and all is going good now.

6 Posts

February 26th, 2012 13:00

Yep they came out and replaced the DDR memory.  It was a known fault.  Just needed to tell them that you had run all the comprehensive mem tests and upgraded the BIOS,   when they realised that this didn't help they sent a guy out with new memory.  It was a different brand and rather than 4 pieces it was in 2 sticks.  If you're outside warranty I'd just replace them myself otherwise get Dell to do it for free... machine has been 100% reliable since.

No Events found!