Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 23rd, 2006 02:00

HOW TO: overclock your xps 700

Please make this a sticky mods

This is meant as a general guide to overclocking your xps 700, as I realize that for many of you overclocking may be a foreign concept.

1. Download the appropriate ntune version for your operating system from http://www.nvidia.com/object/nv_control_panel.html

2. Restart your computer. When it first starts up, there will be a DELL logo loading screen, and it will show the f2 and f12 keys in the upper right corner. Press the key f2 when you see it on the screen, and this gets you into the bios. There, use the arrow keys to scroll to the performance section, and then to the overclocking tab, and hit enter, then right arrow. This should have enabled overclocking. Now hit escape and save and exit the bios.

3. Install ntune, and tune away.

a. If you want to let the computer tune itself, which doesn't result in a very stable computer when I tried it yesterday, go to tune system.

b. I recommend going in yourself, to ADJUST MOTHERBOARD SETTINGS, and doing things manually.

4. Adjust the Referemce Clock (fsb) to around 216, and the ram voltage to 1.9. This is the highest stable combination that I have found, any higher and that poor overclocked value ram gives you a Blue Screen of Death.

ATTN: PLEASE keep in mind, when overclocking this motherboard, you are overclocking the ram along with the cpu. You will get a very small stable overclock, as this ram is NOT high quality, overclockable ram, and at this time, AFAIK, there is no support from dell in the bios for faster ram, which would allow us, at the very least, to reach the low 25% overclock that they have allowed.

!!DISCLAIMER!!
I am in no way liable for anything you do to mess up your computer by following these instructions.

-sage

120 Posts

August 23rd, 2006 02:00

How does use of ntune affect the warranty?

36 Posts

August 23rd, 2006 05:00

@swbrown wrote:
How does use of ntune affect the warranty?

Over clocking falls under the catagory of misuse. I.E not used as designed. Therefore it would most likely not be covered under Dells warranty. I think this is fair. Dell shouldn't be liable for intentional misuse that leads to damage.

This is just my opinion based on other warranty issues conserning misuse. Dell may have its own policy, I am not a representitive of Dell and cannot speak for them. But this is a pretty the case in most warranties.

Not to say you don't know what your doing, I'm sure that most of you have far greater knowledge that the bulk of Dell's "experts".

Message Edited by iNeXile on 08-23-200601:09 AM

12.1K Posts

August 23rd, 2006 08:00

Have you benchmarked the O/C cpu and give use the results over stock ?

424 Posts

August 23rd, 2006 08:00

@saygmo wrote:

This is meant as a general guide to overclocking your xps 700, as I realize that for many of you overclocking may be a foreign concept.

1. Download the appropriate ntune version for your operating system from http://www.nvidia.com/object/nv_control_panel.html

2. Restart your computer. When it first starts up, there will be a DELL logo loading screen, and it will show the f2 and f12 keys in the upper right corner. Press the key f2 when you see it on the screen, and this gets you into the bios. There, use the arrow keys to scroll to the performance section, and then to the overclocking tab, and hit enter, then right arrow. This should have enabled overclocking. Now hit escape and save and exit the bios.

a. If you want to let the computer tune itself, which doesn't result in a very stable computer when I tried it yesterday, go to tune system.

b. I recommend going in yourself, to ADJUST MOTHERBOARD SETTINGS, and doing things manually.

4. Adjust the Referemce Clock (fsb) to around 216, and the ram voltage to 1.9. This is the highest stable combination that I have found, any higher and that poor overclocked value ram gives you a Blue Screen of Death.

ATTN: PLEASE keep in mind, when overclocking this motherboard, you are overclocking the ram along with the cpu. You will get a very small stable overclock, as this ram is NOT high quality, overclockable ram, and at this time, AFAIK, there is no support from dell in the bios for faster ram, which would allow us, at the very least, to reach the low 25% overclock that they have allowed.

!!DISCLAIMER!!
I am in no way liable for anything you do to mess up your computer by following these instructions.

-sage

sorry but this is a ridiclous post!

why don't people just read the manual?

saygmo you are liable if you come out with stuff like this, despite the so called disclaimer you put,

424 Posts

August 23rd, 2006 12:00

why post a message giving instructions?

thats why a manual is included!

671 Posts

August 23rd, 2006 12:00

@chama98 wrote:

@saygmo wrote:

!!DISCLAIMER!!

-sage

sorry but this is a ridiclous post!

why don't people just read the manual?

saygmo you are liable if you come out with stuff like this, despite the so called disclaimer you put,

Heh, no he's not. He's not forcing anyone at gunpoint to OC their PCs.

August 23rd, 2006 13:00

@jsrder wrote:

@iNeXile wrote:

Over clocking falls under the catagory of misuse. I.E not used as designed. Therefore it would most likely not be covered under Dells warranty. I think this is fair. Dell shouldn't be liable for intentional misuse that leads to damage.

This is just my opinion based on other warranty issues conserning misuse. Dell may have its own policy, I am not a representitive of Dell and cannot speak for them. But this is a pretty the case in most warranties.

Dell clearly states that the XPS 700 supports nTune. Check XPS 700 Top 10 Questions on the Dell Blog (psst, it's question #10).

lol iNeXile. I just laughed at your post. To use the word "fair" in anything to do with Dell is just laughable.

903 Posts

iNeXile wrote:

Dell clearly states that the XPS 700 supports nTune.  Check XPS 700 Top 10 Questions on the Dell Blog (psst, it's question #10).

671 Posts

@chama98 wrote:
why post a message giving instructions?

thats why a manual is included!

You and five other people know what the manual contains.

12.1K Posts

August 23rd, 2006 14:00

Page 136 has something to do with overclocking the cpu in the manual

671 Posts

SR45.

You are a very helpful person, thank you!

12.1K Posts

You can download the manual right now if you wish.....

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

102 Posts

sometimes iam lazzy for a manual, thanks guys!

12.1K Posts

August 23rd, 2006 15:00

Glad I could help a little.  Good reading to you all.  Its a large manual  :smileyvery-happy:

August 23rd, 2006 16:00

Because
a. The manual isn't very specific
b. Some people might like more specific instructions
c. If you don't want to use my information, don't. Nobody is forcing you.

-sage
No Events found!