Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 11th, 2012 01:00

Hard Drive crashed, can't restore and have no installs CD - how do I get Windows 7 install CD ?

I have owned an Inspiron 580 for a couple of years and it's worked well.

The other day the C: drive started to fail complaining of drive block errors and is now inaccessible. I attempted a PC restore but it get continued to complain of issues.

I assume I will have to replace the drive but I have no Windows 7 install disks as Dell does not ship them. I don't particular want to buy Windows 8 and even if I did, it would have to be a full version as I can't upgrade.

I also feeel it is unfair that I have purchased a license for Windows and believe that I should be able to get CD's or download to carry out the install.

Any ideas ?

Mnay thanks.

1.1K Posts

December 11th, 2012 05:00

Hi tonyswinburne,

I will recommend you to run the Dell diagnostics to check the hard drive's functionality:

• Restart your system and keep tapping 'F12' as soon as the Dell logo appears.
  • Highlight 'Diagnostics' using up/down arrow keys and press enter.

Please let me know if you get an error code/message.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag along with the system owner's name on a private message so I may access your system records and try to send you the Windows re installation disk. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Please reply for any further questions.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 11th, 2012 05:00

Hi Tonyswinburne,

No, you do not need to purchase a Windows license. Your license is provided on the sticker on your desktop. You can get a Windows disc by calling customer service in your country, and regardless of what happens with your hard drive, I strongly recommend that you do so.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

December 11th, 2012 11:00

I suggest you download the ISO for your Windows version, burn it to DVD, and use that for a clean install on the new hard drive.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/windows-7-iso-x86-and-x64-official-direct-download-links-ultimate-professional-and-home-premium/

No Events found!