Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 2nd, 2012 06:00

Hard Drive not found on reloading XP

Hi

Hope you can help me.

I have a Dell Precision workstation 490.
I had been trying to get the PC to "See" a western digital harddrive, by changing from ACHI to ATA autodetect in the Bios.

I messed up my SATA hard drive in my Dell doing so, as now my Windows XP hangs on the loading page
So I can not get into XP, it just hangs

I have tried reinstalling XP, but it can't find the harddrive (I took all the hard drives out except my 80gb western digital  on that I know has my XP on(or it did)
was going to try a repair.)

I have trawled the whole internet, and I realise there are drivers here on this site, but I have no idea which ones to get
Do I need a SATA Controller? or what?

PLEASE help! I am at my wits end !!!
Yes, I have tried putting my service tag in on this site, but nothing leaps out as exactly what I need

I bought the PC 2nd hand, so I don't have the dell DVD with all my drivers on that gets shipped with a new PC

And when I do get the correct driver, do I put it on a CD/DVD, and try & get it to load when installing XP again(by pressing F6 when XP DVD is loading)? Is it classed as a RAID driver?

If it helps anyone help me, my service tag is     

The only thing I haven't tried that I have just gleaned off this site is the CTRL-F11 feature, but I can't be sure that the hard drive hasn't been reghosted before

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 2nd, 2012 13:00

It's a violation of the forum's terms of use to post a Service Tag so please remove it before they delete your post. :emotion-5:

Have you actually wiped the drive and tried reinstalling XP?

If you haven't wiped XP and still want to try a repair, you have to change BIOS setup to Raid Autodetect/ATA before the Windows XP CD will see the SATA hard drive. After you run the repair, you have to change that setting back to ACHI if SATA drivers were installed during the original XP installation before XP will boot again.

All the drivers for this system can be seen here, including SATA drivers (Dell Driver). The correct order to reinstall drivers is:

1. Desktop System Software (System Utilities)
  2. Chipset Driver (Dell Driver), then Broadcom Trusted Platform Module driver, if you need Trusted Platform
  3. Video driver
  4. Audio driver
  5. Network Driver
  6. etc. 

Drivers can be downloaded on any PC, burned on a CD and copied onto the Precision desktop for installation in the correct order. Good idea to rename them as you download so you can keep track of which is which since the file names are not informative.

EDIT: The moderator already deleted your Sevice Tag :emotion-21:.

Forgot to mention that if you wipe the drive and reinstall XP, you'll need an internal floppy disk drive to load the SATA drivers during the XP installation. You will be prompted about installing other drivers and to press F6 to install them near the beginning of the XP installation process. So you need to prepare that floppy diskette in advance on some other PC and have it ready for use.

2 Posts

October 4th, 2012 15:00

Thankyou so much for taking the time to reply :) I now have managed to load a version of Xp home, so I have 2 copies of windows, one which doesn't load (xp professional)and home I have found an old (new) copy of professional at work, and after I have saved my drivers and software, I am going to install the one version over the lot as a clean I definately don't have a dell recovery version anywhere, so I presume my pc was a rebuild by a non Dell person Thanks again (As an aside- the WD external hard drive I was trying to recover that got me into this mess is in the freezer to try that method of possible recovery)

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 4th, 2012 16:00

You're welcome.

Keep in mind if you use a non-Dell Win XP Pro disk to do a clean install, the Windows product key on the side of the tower may (or not) work. If you use a Dell Win XP Pro disk, it shouldn't even ask for the product key. If it's an OEM XP Pro disk for another name-brand PC, it's unlikely to even let you try to install.

If you're in the US and the registered system owner, you can request a replacement Windows disk from Dell by completing this form. They might  charge you for the disk.

Also remember, you can't just copy software files from a backup onto the hard drive after you do a clean install of XP Pro. Software needs to be installed into WIndows so you'll need the setup disk and product key for every app you want to install.

Freezing won't help if the recording surface got damaged because one of the read/write heads crashed into the disk.

Good luck!

4.4K Posts

May 18th, 2013 04:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity.For assistance,with same issue or a different issue,please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.            

No Events found!