Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 13th, 2017 17:00

Hard drive in new computer works fine but it's noisy

It sounds like a cross between a gurgle and a popcorn machine when it seeks. I read where people have used rubber feet and even suspended them with bunjy cords. I know some drives are just noisy but what do you think of taking the main drive out of the cage and putting it on top (of the bottom cage), and using a combination of two sided sticky tape and weather stripping to secure it ? No I'm not going to SSD.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 14th, 2017 18:00

"File History only backs up copies of files that are in the Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos, and Desktop folders and the OneDrive files available offline on your PC. If you have files or folders elsewhere that you want backed up, you can add them to one of these folders."

support.microsoft.com/.../windows-8-file-history

367 Posts

December 13th, 2017 17:00

I'm not sure if I understand but that is not a good idea as it would make the surface resonate making the noise even louder than it was because it would actually amplify the sound making it more annoying.

732 Posts

December 14th, 2017 07:00

But it won't even touch the metal and basically floating.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 14th, 2017 10:00

Have you talked to Tech Support about swapping the hard drive under the warranty, assuming that will solve the problem?

732 Posts

December 14th, 2017 12:00

Thanks I might do that, but it's just that I spent so much time getting everything like I want it. If I copy the drive to an external drive and back again will all the tiles I use be back in the same place etc and will it affect the "file save" that is now backing it up daily?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 14th, 2017 15:00

You can't just "copy" the HDD to an external drive. You'll have to image the HDD. And do it  right before you remove that old one so you have the latest of everything.

So you'll need some imaging software like Acronis, etc. Depending on whose external HDD you have, eg Seagate, they may offer a free version of some imaging software. Seagate offers a limited version of Acronis, they call DiscWizard. It only makes complete backup images of the HDD, but that should be sufficient for you.

Once the new HDD is installed, you can use that backup image saved on the external drive to recreate everything exactly as it was on the original HDD.

Don't know what "file save" you mean or if it's just saving backup copies of personal files or if it's imaging the entire HDD.

732 Posts

December 14th, 2017 16:00

Sorry I meant "file history" which is in the control panel of windows 10 and it backs up your files as you go. I was wondering myself how much it actually backs up and if it includes the OS and if you could actually get everything back if you need to.

732 Posts

December 14th, 2017 20:00

As a former mechanic I know detaching things mounted to things that can transmit noise can make them quieter so since computing is not my bag I think I will try the weather stripping idea but thanks.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 15th, 2017 11:00

Your PC and your decisions...

Just make sure the "weather stripping" doesn't change air flow patterns or lock heat into the hard drive which will cause worse problems than just the hiccups and belching you have now.

And keep in mind, if it's a defective drive, it's going to fail -sooner or later- no matter how much you try to hide the problem.

732 Posts

December 15th, 2017 17:00

No heat locked in, just a couple strips on the outer edges and should run cooler since it won't be in the cage. I doubt if the drive is bad since I read that same drives are just noisier than others and it works great. It lets me know when it is working/seeking but I like the little green light on my OptiPlex better. Also the HDD is less than 2' from my head with no room for it under the desk. I will make an update post when I get time to make the change.

No Events found!