Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 30th, 2008 20:00

Hardware Malfunction - NMI: Parity Check/ Memory Parity Error - Help!

I have an XPS Gen 4 and before Windows XP loads it goes into a blue screen displaying this error:

Hardware Malfunction

NMI: Parity Check/Memory Parity Error

***The system has halted***

and I have to force the shut down of the computer. The RAM memory modules are practically new (Kingston HyperX), only about a year old, so I don't think they're the problem. What's causing this error, the motherboard? If anyone has had this problem before and solved it please let me know how. Thanks
Message Edited by Jean_P on 05-30-2008 04:50 PM

526 Posts

May 30th, 2008 21:00

Definately sounds like a memory (RAM) problem.  I'd try taking out the memory chips and re-inserting them as the first step.

526 Posts

May 30th, 2008 22:00

How much RAM total, and how many sticks of memory do you have?

If possible, try with one memory stick at a time and see if you can isolate the problem to one memory module.  It does sound like your RAM may be bad though.  Or in a worst case scenario, your motherboard could be bad.

6 Posts

May 30th, 2008 22:00

The first time I got the error I re-inserted the RAM and the system started up OK. I kept doing this everytime the error appeared, until recently that not even that makes the error go away. I downloaded the Windows Memory Diagnostic and run the extended tests on the system and it detects no errors, but the Parity Error still appears when I turn it on. :(

526 Posts

May 30th, 2008 23:00

You are making sure you're putting the memory sticks into the correct #1 and #2 slots, right?  I'm not familiar with your PC but the slots should be staggered like such:

#4  --  #2  --  #3  --  #1

526 Posts

MemTest86 is also a good memory test program that you might want to try out.

6 Posts

My computer is crazy. First I booted it up with both memory sticks on and the error appeared. Then I removed the second stick, booted up the computer and Windows loaded just fine with the first 512mb memory stick. I removed first memory stick and put the second one in its place and, again, the computer booted up and loaded windows fine. Then I put both memory stick together (like the first step when the error appeared) and it loaded  Windows just fine. Huh? It seems like my computer loads Windows whenever it's in a good mood or something. I'm going to run that Memtest86 you sent to see if it comes up with something. Thanks

6 Posts

1gb (2x512) memory total. I'll test the system with each stick individually like you said. Thanks

6 Posts

May 31st, 2008 00:00

Alright thanks a lot for the help Rambler358.

526 Posts

Well, if you ran MemTest on each stick individually then you can likely rule out a RAM issue.  Does your BIOS see the RAM correctly?  If so, then the only other issue *I* can see is with the motherboard.

Of course trying other memory modules can't hurt, and memory is cheap enough now.  Perhaps try replacing your RAM with a 1GB stick, or 2 x 1GB sticks or even a 1 x 2GB stick.  Good luck!

6 Posts

Yes, I'm putting them in the correct #1 and #2 slots (white pins). When I tested the individual stick I put them in #1 slot.

I just ran the memtest86 on my comp and it did not find any errors. The error appears so randomly... I guess it's going to come down to replacing RAM modules on my current motherboard and see if the error still apears. If it still appears with other ram modules then I'd have to replace the motherboard (ouch!) and pray the error doesn't appear anymore. I don't see which other part could be causing this problem other than the RAM or motherboard.

No Events found!