Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 13th, 2008 06:00

Help!!! Dimension 5100-wont power up after usb surge error

I recently moved and hooked up the comp. Plugged everything in while it was off. After booting, my friend asked about the printer. I blindly went to plug it in. I don't know if I touched a wrong port or something because I was reaching back behind the computer instead of visually inserting it. Noticing there was not any more USB ports I went to the front. She also tried as well saying it was plugged in back there. At this point the comp. was turned on. Then I got an error of a USB port hub overload (something along them lines)  I then shut down the comp. the proper way. Since then the comp won’t power up. I get the blinking amber LED in front, steady green on the mother board. I went out and bought a new power supply and have the same results. 

What does all this mean?

What does the solid green on the motherboard mean?

What are my next options?

I saw that those motherboards are limited and not easily replaceable with anything other than a dell.

Please help...

Thanks Tom

5.8K Posts

July 13th, 2008 16:00

I would first check for physical damage to the USB ports.  Some people with a similar problem have seen shorting pins, "unshorted" them and got the machine working again.

Peter

6 Posts

July 13th, 2008 17:00

Thanks.

I will give that a try but what does the the errors and lights exacly mean. I have read on it. I know the amber light not the steady green on the MB? Will that come on even if the MB is bad? And if that does not work where do I go from there?

Message Edited by tom1314 on 07-13-2008 01:26 PM

5.8K Posts

July 13th, 2008 18:00

It means there is some kind of power problem.  The PSU could be bad (but you checked that already) or there is something causing a power problem (e.g. a short on the motherboard, a drive or a USB connector/device).

Peter

July 13th, 2008 18:00

I had a similar problem, and I've found a work-around, but not a complete solution: 

After I turn off my Dell E510, I cannot turn it on; the front power light flashes amber.

- When I disconnect all USB devices, and remove and reinstall the CMOS 3V battery, I can restart the computer provided that no USB ports are in use.

- Once the computer is restarted this way, I can plug in my USB devices and the computer works fine. BUT if I turn off the computer, the amber light resumes and computer fails to start again.

- It makes no difference which USB ports I use- front or back.

- I CAN do a soft reboot without problem.

- I've checked the USB ports to see if any prongs are bent, but all of them look normal.  I've removed all the dust from the interior, and there are no signs of any shorts that I can identify.

6 Posts

July 15th, 2008 18:00

Well so far nothing has worked. How do I test the MB? Anyone know of a good replacement that isnt 300$?
Any other sugestions?

Tom

6 Posts

July 15th, 2008 23:00

I know exactly what you mean by process of elimination. Though thats where I'm lost. How do I go about that to get the end result I need. I guess I have eliminated the power supply. Though I get the same result with the old one as I do with the brand new one?

Any chance you could step by step me through it. I hope I'm not asking for to much....

And I dont know if you know the MB I have its a TD217 and its USB's are part of the MB.

Tom

5.8K Posts

July 15th, 2008 23:00

Basically, you have to determine the problem by process of elimination.  If nothing else is the problem, then it must be the motherboard.

You should be able to get one for less than $300 ($400 buys you a modern system with 20" monitor).  Google for it and/or check eBay.  I would think you could get a board like that pretty cheap because it doesn't support the Core processors.

Peter

5.8K Posts

July 16th, 2008 01:00

I would try disconnecting things until all I have is the PSU and motherboard (without CPU ... I would pull this out last).  If the power light is still blinking amber and you tried a good PSU, then I would say it must be the motherboard.

Peter

6 Posts

July 16th, 2008 03:00

Sorta, I dont know what CMOS means? Yes I have everything in the USB ports unplugged. I still get the same result?

I did check the pins as well and they all seem good.

Message Edited by tom1314 on 07-16-2008 12:00 AM

July 16th, 2008 03:00

Did you try my trick with popping out the CMOS, and then putting it back in, and starting with all USBs disconnected?

Admitttedly not a permanent solution, but I've been able to keep up and running that way as long as I don't turn off the computer....

5.8K Posts

July 26th, 2008 19:00

Shorted USB ports like yours seem to be more and more common as a cause of dead machines.  Glad you figured it out.

Peter

6 Posts

July 26th, 2008 19:00

Hey Peter. You were right. I decided to take a better look at the USB ports. What I thought was a strange port was actually a broken USB. It was missing the black plastic piece inside it. I had asumed it was something else and the prongs were spose to be that way. Once I realized it was a USB I then recognized that the prongs were bent. That then shorted out the power. Which also ment that the old power supply was still good. Which is funny because I took that to BB geek squad and had it tested. They said it was bad? Not all of them, just that one. I put the old one back in moved the prongs and poof she powered right up and works perfect.

Thanks to everyone that responsed. I appreciated all the input...

Tom

2 Posts

July 25th, 2010 09:00

Hi Tom,

I believe I have the same problem as you in that I have a shorted USB.  I plugged in a device to the front of my Dell Dimension 5100 to a USB drive and the computer when out on me.  Now I have a flashing amber light and it won't restart. 

I took a look at the USB and just like your situation the I have the missing black piece inside.  What I wasn't clear is it sounds like you just moved the prongs around you got it to start up.  You didn't actually replace the one USB that was bad?

Thanks,

Spiro

2 Posts

July 25th, 2010 10:00

I got the pc back up, one of the USB prongs was bent back, I straightened it out as best as I can and got it the pc restarted.

No Events found!