Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 2nd, 2006 17:00

Help with motherboard specs

I don't know if this is the proper place for this question or not but I am new here. I have obtained a Dell motherboard from a salvage of various computer parts. I have been racking my brain and wearing out my internet browser trying to find info on this motherboard. Just wanting to know the specs of this board, preferrably a manual for jumpers, front pin header layouts, proper parts to install onto it and so on, as well what model of Dell computer it came from for driver purposes. I don't want to connect random other parts to it without knowing it is ok in hopes that this motherboard is salvageable for a used PC for a neice of mine or maybe as a replacement board for another Dell PC. The board appears to be made from Intel but no luck finding their matching equivalant. Here is the information listed on the board that I am able to find...

CPU socket - P4 478 (no idea if it is Northwood, Prescott, or Willamette)
northbridge chip - looks like the old PIII CPUs but cant read any info on the die
southbridge chip - FW82801EB , SL73Z
BIOS String - AA C23438-402 (this is why I'm assusing it's a INTEL board but no Intel board number printed/labled on the board)
Dell Rev A.00

RAM slots - 4 (2 x 2) DDR type. white & black  white & black... appears to be dual channel
PSU connection - 20-pin onthe right plus P4 4-pin on left just under the CPU corner
Floppy & IDE connectors are with the 20-pin PSU connector
SATA - 2 connectors on lower right corner area
AGP - 1 and green colored
PCI - 3
rear USB ports - 6
Video & audio - onboard

I hope that is enough info for somebody to be able to help me identify the make & model of this board so I can get specs on this board as well as maybe as a Dell PC model so I can get drivers for it in the hope that this board still works

Thanks,
Chris 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 2nd, 2006 20:00

Sounds like a Dimension 8300 board.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 2nd, 2006 21:00

chipmunk76

Maybe?

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Bev.

4 Posts

I tried yahooing Dimension 8300 motherboards and what I found was not a match :(  That model has 4 PCI slots instead of 3 and the CMOS battery in a different place - center/right /  mine is center bottom. That alone told me that this isn't the board I have. But I thank you for trying ejn :)

Message Edited by chipmunk76 on 07-02-200605:21 PM

4 Posts

YAY Bev :smileyvery-happy: !!  I did a search on that board and the pics I found match perfectly to the board I have. The link you gave helped but knowing dell... they don't do a good job with pics of internal parts  lol The ONLY thing left now is for me to find proper "control panel jumper" (assuming that is the same as front panel) configurations. Does Dell offer any diagrams on that because I have yet to see that on any board I have looked at.

Oh... one quick, and probably stupid, question... there is a long series of letters & numbers near the center starting with DS/N .... is that the same for every model or is that like a unique number for that particular part? That was the ONLY difference in other pics I saw compared to the board I have.

Thanks again :)

Chris

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 2nd, 2006 22:00

chipmunk76

Chris.

Dell motherboards and cases have proprietary features, one of which are the front panel pin-outs and Dell has never published them. 

There is this discussion about the subject,

Bev.

4 Posts

July 2nd, 2006 23:00

Bev,

I appreciate that info. As I have been continuing my research... I have come to realize from many other forums that Dell (as well as others) use proprietary parts. I read one where someone had said that they tried to use a standard PSU replacement due to a failed original and got white smoke for their effort when tried 3 different ones but yet a Dell replacement worked flawlessly for them. I'm now thinking that my best bet is to hope and run across another Dimension 4600 tower & PSU to test this board out to see if it works. Hmmm... wonder if Dell would be ever so nice to help out a person in need and donate the old parts that I'm sure they have in a warehouse to that someone  hehehe... I am not getting my hopes up on that tho  lol

Anyways... I appreciate your help and effort Bev :)

Chris

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 2nd, 2006 23:00

chipmunk76

Chris.

Hope it all works out.  :smileywink:

A good site to browse for Dell parts, is eBay.

I very much doubt, that Dell would donate any parts.

Bev.
No Events found!