Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 8th, 2004 17:00

How can I determine exactly what driver is needed for my Dell PC's

I am in tech support for a small company, trying to maintain older equipment.  I've only been here a short while, and we have Dell Dimension L433c's, XPS T450s, T500's, as well as some newer models.  My biggest headache here is  figuring out which driver to load to get the sound to work when I have to reformat a hard drive.  I have a Dell Resource CD, but I haven't yet been able to determine exactly how to find the right driver on that CD.  Please help me.  I'm ready to pull my hair out.  Any help you guys can offer would be tremendously appreciated!

moonchild

14 Posts

March 8th, 2004 19:00

Yep, I'm from OKC.  I have gone to the downloads, but there are several possible choices.  This is sooooooo frustrating!  I spend way too much time dinking with stuff like this. 

723 Posts

If you have a specific problem i'll sure try to help. Understand there are far more qualified people than me but i will try.

723 Posts

Hi moonchild sounds like your from okc, ok. Me too southside . As for your question i think your going to have to go into the downloads for the specific unit your working on as the question comes up. Not sure there is a blanket answer to your problem. 1. Does it have onboard sound or card etc. Wish i could be of more help.

14 Posts

March 8th, 2004 21:00

Thanks.  I'm about to the point of thinking that there is just something wrong with this particular PC's soundcard. It is built onto the motherboard on this Dell Dimension L433c.  Under Device Manager, it shows that the device is working properly.  I double-clicked on the sound icon on the taskbar, and added the Wave volume control.  Then I opened Windows Media Player, and selected a video to play.  The control on the Wave setting shows activity (changing from green to yellow or red), but no sound comes out. 

She (the user) was using the speakers last week with a different PC, so I know they work.  I have tried moving the audio jack into each of the possible holes.  I hear static when the metal of the jack touches the metal of the hole (I know there is a technical name for the hole...but I'm at a loss right now).

I also donloaded a file from the Dell Resource CD under Diagnostics\AudioPCI.  The file is audiopci.exe.  I extracted this file to a floppy and then executed it from floppy.  It comes up with this message:  [14] Fail.

Do you think the sound card (not really a card, I guess, since it is onboard) on this PC is bad?  Don't know when this PC was in use last, or by whom.  I took it off the shelf to set up for this lady, because she needed sound and her existing PC didn't have a sound card in it.

Thanks, and sorry for the long post.

No Events found!