Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 15th, 2013 13:00

How to install a video card!!!

Please help I need to install one into my computer . I have a dell inspiron 620 and I'm installing a AMD Radeon HD 6570 1 GB PCI Express Graphic Card

6.4K Posts

July 15th, 2013 17:00

Mechanically, or electrically?  Your on-line service manual has instructions for installing or replacing a PCI-e card; see this:  Inspiron 620 Service Manual.

Electrically, it often helps to uninstall the driver for the old card before removing it and physically installing the new card.  If you are presently using the on-board video, use the Device Manager under Computer Properties to uninstall it.  You must either remove the driver software, or shut down the computer without restarting it, if you are using the on-board video.  If you don't, the computer will simply find the on-board video driver and reinstall it when the computer is restarted.

Be sure to read the instructions that are included with your video card.  If your instruction manual differs from what follows here, follow the instructions in the manual.  Once you have the old video adapter disabled or removed (if it is a stand-alone card), you can physically install the new video card.  You should also connect your monitor to the first DVI connector or to the VGA port depending on your monitor.  When you start the computer, be sure to use F2 during the self test to bring up the System Setup.  Find your menu item for the video adapter; most Dells have settings to force the use of the On-Board video, or to choose the PCI-e graphics card.  This last setting sometimes mentions the PCI-e slot, but could also be listed as Automatic.  If set to initialize the PCI-e card first, or to Automatic, the BIOS should automatically select the card you have in the PCI-e X16 slot.

The first screen you see may not be set to the proper resolution for your display.  Follow the instructions for the video card in order to install the correct driver.

17 Posts

July 15th, 2013 14:00

I know where to put it but I want to know how to put it in

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 15th, 2013 14:00

There is only 1 slot that the card fits into.

17 Posts

July 15th, 2013 17:00

okay but well can explain that lilttle bit less hardware typy thing im not that good with computers just know how to install the videocard

17 Posts

July 15th, 2013 18:00

Yes

6.4K Posts

July 15th, 2013 18:00

I'm not sure I understand your question.  If you wish more detailed instructions, I need to know what operating system you are using.  Windows 7?

6.4K Posts

July 15th, 2013 19:00

1.  While your old video adapter is still installed and working, click the Start button at the lower left of your screen.  When the menu appears, locate Computer, and click on it with the right-hand mouse button.

2.  Use the left button to click on Properties.

3.  Under the heading of Control Panel Home at the upper left of the Properties screen, left-click Device Manager.

4.  Locate the Display Adapters heading, and click on the triangle to the left of the name to expand the category.

5.  Double click the name of the display adapter to bring up its properties list.

6.  Click the Driver tab of the properties list.  Locate the button on that list labeled Disable and click it.  By doing this, you deactivate the settings in the Windows registry that enable the driver for your old video adapter.

7.  Exit out of the Driver tab by clicking the OK button at the bottom of the Driver window.  Close out the windows you have opened and Shut down the computer.  Once the computer has completely shut down, unplug the power cable from the computer and remove the cables to your peripherals.

8.  Open the computer, and if you are replacing an older video card, remove it from the PCI-e X16 slot.  If you are using on-board video, simply install your new card into the slot using the instructions from the service manual.

9.  Close up your computer, and attach the appropriate video cable to the monitor and the new video card.  Video adapters and monitors are continuing to evolve; you may find that you need to attach a VGA cable to the video card or the monitor, or maybe to both.  Some devices have multiple connectors available, DVI, HDMI, VGA, or Display Port.  If both your card and monitor have DVI connectors, use a cable for that interface.  If one of your devices has only a VGA connector, you will need to use an adapter to convert from DVI to VGA.  Such an adapter is frequently provided in the video card box, but not always.

10.  Reconnect the cables for your keyboard and mouse, but nothing else until you have completed your video card installation, including installation of the video driver.  Last, connect the power cord to the computer.  Start the computer and verify you have a working display.  Since the driver has not been installed, the display may not appear as you have become accustomed to seeing.  Wait until the computer has finished booting and observe the screen.  You should get a message at the lower right stating that new hardware has been found.  Windows will install the new hardware and may ask if you wish to search for a driver over the Internet.  This will install a driver, but may not get the software for the Control Panel that allows you to change settings for the card.  Unless your instruction manual says otherwise, I recommend you do not allow Windows to search for a driver.  Instead, cancel out of the wizard, place your CD containing the drivers for the card into your optical crive, and allow it to autorun.  You will wish to install the driver for the card, and probably also the control panel for the card.

11.  If the old video adapter was an ATI/AMD product, you may also get a complaint that the catalyst software cannot find a compatible device when you first start the computer.  If you do see that message, you will need to go back to the Start menu, click on Control Panel, and click on Remove Programs.  Find the ATI Catalyst software, select it by clicking on it, and click on Uninstall.  Since you are installing an ATI/AMD device, you could possibly get away without performing this last step, but the Catalyst drivers and control panel will be installed when you use the installation disk from the video card package, and there may be changes from the version you have.  If you don't see such a message, do not worry about it.  If your old card was an nVidia card, you will definitely wish to remove the nVidia control panel software as it is incompatible with ATI/AMD hardware.

No Events found!