Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 29th, 2011 10:00

How to make use of the onboard Radeon HD 4200 in the Dell Studio XPS 7100?

This machine's motherboard uses the AMD 785G chipset, which includes a Radeon HD 4200 with DVI & HDMI outputs.

However, as the machine may also have a dedicated graphics card (in my case a Radeon HD 5870), Dell and/or ATI have very kindly set the bios to automatically disable the onboard GPU when a dedicated graphics card is installed.

I would like to make use of the onboard Radeon HD 4200 to drive an additional 1 or 2 monitors. (alongside the HD 5870 which is already driving it's limit of 3 monitors)

There are no bios options for controlling whether the onboard graphics chipset is utilized or not.

Does anyone know of a software or firmware tool that can be used to force the onboard graphics chipset to function?

1.5K Posts

June 29th, 2011 11:00

Does anyone know of a software or firmware tool that can be used to force the onboard graphics chipset to function?

No.  This is just the way all systems work.  Your option would be to get an inexpensive PCI video card if the slot is open.  

June 29th, 2011 11:00

After a thorough trawl of the 'net, you appear to be correct - or atleast nobody has succeeded with it yet.

A bit of a shame; I wonder if it's an entirely artificial limitation, or if there is some technical reason behind it too. (perhaps the onboard gpu requires the use of the PCIe bus)

No Events found!