Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

February 24th, 2015 11:00

How to remove Dell 960 MT fan Housing from chassis...?

I've got a Dell 960 MT with a noisy fan.  I already purchased a fan with it's housing, and thought it was going to be a no brainer to put it in.  I was pretty surprised to find that contrary to what is shown in the owners manual, pulling up on the tabs on the front of the top and bottom edges does not release the housing from the chassis.

I discovered the tab on the back of the housing on the right (when looking at it from the front), and that seems to loosen up the right side. But I can't seem to find a way to loosen up the left side.  

There is a little tab near the bottom of the housing on the left side (again, looking at it from the front), but pressing it in or down doesn't seem to do anything at all.

Can anyone tell me how to remove the shroud that houses the fan from the chassis on a Dell Optiplex 960 MT...?

Thx...!  

(edited to include info that it's a Mid Tower 3-6-15)

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 6th, 2015 06:00

The Optiplex 960 has three chassis. Which one do you have?
MT Mid Tower
DT Desktop
SFF Small Form Factor

March 6th, 2015 17:00

It's a MId Tower.

March 7th, 2015 06:00

Even knowing how to do it, it's still touch and go as to whether it works. The trick is that those tabs just stop the housing from being pulled forward. Once it's pulled forward it can then be pulled up and out. So your aim is to pull it forward to begin with, not to pull it out. So it's one tab on each side - one very awkward one down at the bottom on the left and often one on the top too under the cables.

No Events found!