Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 30th, 2009 01:00

Hybrid deskop - flickering display

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone else has the same problem as I am having before I take the computer back. It's a Hybrid model with the standard 19" widescreen display. There seems to be some interference causing the display to flicker, I have tested the monitor by hooking it up to my Laptop and there is NO flicker.

So I assume there must be something going wrong inside the actual box - I've noticed the flickering seems to get worse as the Hard Drive "thinks". I have the ideal resolution in 1366 x 768 @60hz, but I've tried knocking it down to 1268 x 768 @ 75hz and while a little better it doesn't solve the problem.

Thanks,

Matt

1 Message

February 3rd, 2009 17:00

I just bought one of these from best buy on Thursday and I am experiencing the exact same thing.  My mom doesn't really notice it but I can.  That's cool it doesn't bother her but clearly there is something going on.  The display model was doing the same thing.  Dell please give us the solution :)

3 Posts

February 4th, 2009 01:00

Ah good so not just me then! I hadn't noticed the display model flikering - I bought mine from PC World.

I have logged the problem with a Dell Technician who has suggested I go through all the self help stuff on the Dell website. I've done this and it hasn't fixed the problem so I'm waiting on their further suggestions.

During the testing though I found out the problem only happens in Windows and not if you log in to the BIOS for instance. Hopefully it might be a driver error... would rather not take it back as I spent ages transfering files from my old PC to this one!

I'll keep you posted.

Matt

24 Posts

February 9th, 2009 11:00

I have a Hybrid with a 20" Samsung hooked up 1920X1650. I have not noticed much other then a little tear at the top right when expanding or reducing a window. I actually went to Intel.com and downloaded the latest video drivers. Did not help. I have also noticed occasionally some Video noise lines upon bootup too? Does not happen all the time. I have always had problems with the Samsung on other computers with DVI sync up. Sometimes upon waking from sleep or boot up the monitor is blank. I have to cycle through switching from Analog input and back to DVI.

26 Posts

February 10th, 2009 00:00

I have the exact flickering problem with my XPS.  It is totally random.  But usually when I turn on the computer in the morning.  The whole monitor will just flickering while my XPS is booting to Vista.  One time, the monitor will start flickering very very slowly (maybe every 2 seconds. it turns black for 2 seconds and then it turns to the desktop for another 2 seconds and back and fore) after my XPS comes out from the screen saver.  And then it will start flickering faster and faster.

Many times the screen will just turn black for couple seconds when Vista is popping out the UAC dialog box.

3 Posts

March 3rd, 2009 12:00

I've had the moterboard replaced on my Hybrid under warrenty. Intially I wasn't sure if it had fixed the problem as i thought I saw it still flickering, however it has got progressively worse over the past week since it has been replaced.

Any input such as typing or moving the mouse is causing flickering on the screen, as well hard drive activity.

I'm waiting on further options from Dell, but on the positive side Dell Support seem very helpful and prompt at sorting things out.

Matt

3 Posts

March 23rd, 2009 13:00

I have exactly the same flickering with my Hybrid that I bought a couple of weeks ago from PC World. It is much worse when a dark grey is displayed on the standard 19” display. No settings could stop it but I found one way to almost cure it. I had to plug the monitor into a completely different plug socket to the computer! The further the better. I also have a Dell XPS 420 which can be plugged into any socket with its monitor without any problems.

One thing I have noticed is a high pitched whine coming from the computer. It is so high pitched that some people can’t even hear it. Do all of these Hybrids make this noise? I can hear the low gentle sound of the fan and also a quiet but annoying high pitched noise. Can you let me know if your computer makes the same noise? The room will have to be very quiet to hear it. Please let me know as I don’t know if mine has a fault. Thanks.

2 Posts

April 2nd, 2009 04:00

Hy,

First, excuse my poor english , I'm french.

I've just received my Hybrid and I've got the same problem as you all.

So is anyone got a solution now? What is the answer of dell?

I'm seriously thinking to return the computer wich is also very noisy when working at 100%...

3 Posts

April 4th, 2009 05:00

Hello Melierax,

Dell has asked me to return the computer to them but as I need to take time off work for it to be collected and then returned, I have not yet sent it to them. Have you got a flickering display or just a noisy computer?

My Hybrid isn’t just noisy when at 100%, even an ‘idle’ the computer has a high pitched whine that isn’t particularly loud, but very annoying. It sounds like a referee’s football whistle quietly being blown constantly!

2 Posts

April 4th, 2009 10:00

Hello,

I finally deceided to return the computer without waiting for an answer from dell support.I tried with two screnn and I've the same flickering image. For the noise effectively it's evrytime the computer works. It's craizy to pay more than 700€ for a computer with those kind of problems.

I've send dell 4 mail to ask them to pick-up the computer at my job office but it's like writting to a robot: they never respond realy to the question! But I will let UPS try at home and the I'll call them to change the adress. You should do the same...

So for me, it's finish with dell. I'll probably look for an apple mini... It's more expensive but I'll work perfectly!

No Events found!