Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 28th, 2011 17:00

I NEED TO REPLACE MY Inspiron 546 MT 0F896N MOTHERBOARD

Can someone please tell me of a comparable replacement? I've had to have the mobo replaced once before, Dell fixed it actually now it's dead again, so I wish to replace it with something better than the junk it came with...I'd like for the replacement to use the same RAM so I don't have to buy new RAM.

13 Posts

July 28th, 2011 17:00

Also it has a AMD Phenom X3 processor

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 28th, 2011 18:00

Just about anything else will require at least:

A new case and power supply, plus a new heatsink-fan assembly, and

Anything else will require that you purchase a retail copy of Windows ( you cannot use the OEM copy of WIndows with a non-Dell mainboard.

13 Posts

July 28th, 2011 19:00

No that's not right at all,  while I'm unsure of what mobo I can use, I'm very sure you're incorrect. All I need to know is what mobo will work in this rig, which is a Dell 546 mt, that's all,..

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 28th, 2011 19:00

If you're sure, you must then know everything you need to know -- so why bother asking?

Fact:

Dell uses a nonstandard front panel and backplate.  A retail board won't fit without sheet metal surgery and extensive rewiring.  Your call as to whether to do that or replace the case.

Fact:

The OEM copy of Windows is tied to and licensed for ONLY the Dell OEM board.  It won't work with a retail board.

Fact:

The heatsink assembly will NOT fit an aftermarket board.

You either use another OEM board, or use an aftermarket board in a new case (or modify the existing case).  But be sure you also budget for a full retail copy of Windows in your replacement.  You'll need it.

13 Posts

July 28th, 2011 20:00

Can you please recommend a better Dell board then please? I apologize for earlier, to be honest, this whole affair has been quite a nightmare, I just need a solid mobo that works, I'm willing to purchase it through Dell, my search has been futile and I'm actually given up and will pay whatever and extend the warranty.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 28th, 2011 20:00

See above.  If you want another Dell board, then there are places such as impactcomputers.com that sell them - those will work with what you have, assuming the chassis is the same.

Any aftermarket board you choose will require either heavy modification to the case, or a new case entirely - and as above, a retail copy of Windows.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 29th, 2011 04:00

This is the only board that's guaranteed to work

www.freelandcomputer.com/F896N-Dell-Inspiron-546-546s-Motherboard-F896N.html

The board from the 545 should fit as well - but it uses Intel CPUs, so you'd also need a new CPU.

There are other system in the Inspiron 5xx series that have boards that should work as well - but none of them are really going to net you much unless you also buy a new CPU and/or new RAM.  At that point it probably makes sense to replace the entire system - or build one yourself, using the drives, etc. from the current one.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 29th, 2011 08:00

Both enj63 and I have been on this Dell forum board for many years (I have been on here since 2002).   We are not Dell employees so we are not just telling you that it's Dell only because we are employees, but that is the way it is.  Dell's are not 100% ATX standard and compatible.  If they were, we wouldn't be telling you about the pitfalls.

You can hack up the case to get a non-Dell motherboard in it and possibly get it connected to the front panel power switch. But, with the new motherboard, providing you find one that is compatible with your CPU, you are likely going to need different memory and you will need a new heatsink assembly and you will need a non-Dell OEM copy of Windows as you wil have to do a complete reinstall.  Because of the modifications that will be required to the case and the Dell front panel connections, it's just as well to also buy a new ATX case ($25 and up at www.compusa.com ) to avoid all the hassles.

13 Posts

July 29th, 2011 08:00

Ok with all of that said I asked if someone could tell me of a compatible Dell board I could purchase, my only request is that it's not the same exact one, I have chatted with Dell, to no avail, and even spoke to them on the phone last night, the person I spoke to was supposed to email me a few Dell options, but nobody ever sent me anything.

13 Posts

July 29th, 2011 10:00

Thank you for replying all who did, I spoke to Dell they are sending me a w247r, what a frustrating ordeal.

No Events found!