Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 5th, 2009 20:00

I am shopping for a new system

Which Dell desktop is on the top of the line and trouble free currently? Have they change their policy in related to technical support calls directed to call centres in India?

Kanti

12 Posts

December 5th, 2009 20:00

DO NOT order a system from Dell.  They are currently sending all calls to india still to people who are now being instructed to lie to customers in person, on the internet and through order status that changes the day before your system arrives.  Surf the Delays in shipping thread for more and about half of all threads that are now about how Bad the service has gotten here.  Go with a retail store for the same tech at a lower price and guar stock and take home ability.  Dell has nothing special

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 6th, 2009 03:00

Very few companies that don't outsource their sales and support to some other country.  I don't go for the "overseas" support either but that is the way companies are now set up.  Bank and credit card companies are the same way - and even my cable company.

As far as what to buy, there is a "What Do I Buy" section on the forum.  Repost your "what do I buy" question there.   A lot of what to buy depends on how much you want to spend and what applications it will be used for. 

295 Posts

December 8th, 2009 15:00

Many thanks to all of you. I had to give up buying dell computers and went for HP. Now I am  in need of a new one but disappointed to know that dell and indian technical support is not my choice. I am going to buy HP from local store with local technical support or buy HP directly. At least HP do have a Canadian technical support (my choice) when asked  for.

Kanti 

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

December 8th, 2009 16:00

When new desktops with Core 2 Duo CPUs and 19-inch monitors sell for $400, what alternative do they have for tech support?

To put things in perspective, during Christmas of 1990 a 387 33 Mhz co-processor sold for $699. Now I can get a complete Inspiron 15 laptop with Core 2 Duo CPU, 320gb HD, 15-inch glossy screen and Windows 7 for less than that.

18 Posts

December 8th, 2009 17:00

DO NOT ORDER FROM DELL... the chances of them shipping within a MONTH is slimmer than shaq making a free throw shot (very very slim i know) and they underclock their video cards to support the horrible power supplies they provide!

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

December 8th, 2009 17:00

i'm not sure how technology getting cheaper over time relates to Dell treating customers like a carpet stain

In the old days, technology was expensive but built into the price was local service and support. At $400 for a complete, high quality system, there's simply no margin for that.

52 Posts

December 8th, 2009 18:00

If you want to buy from someone who is second from the bottom (out of eleven manufacturers), then by all means buy HP.  Or you could go with the very bottom and get a Sony.

http://www.pcworld.com/zoom?id=156452&page=1&zoomIdx=1

Oh, and if you want to read a 3,254 message thread about HP's stellar quality, then spend the next twenty hours reading this thread:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/Elite-e9150t-Feezes-Locks-up/td-p/93815

370 Posts

December 9th, 2009 07:00

I don't think it's realistic to think you can get cheap computer prices AND stellar support (as has already been mentioned).  If low price is your primary concern, buy Dell (or HP) and gamble on needing support. Your odds are pretty good the computer will work.    If high reliability and support are your primary concerns, buy from a well-established local shop (or build it yourself with premium components).

295 Posts

December 14th, 2009 12:00

In my city all of the well- established computer stores (Staples, Best Buy, Furture Shop etc etc) are all selling HP and Acer but none of them selling Dell. I have no good vibe for MDG. I have no alternative but go for HP and buy the support from them. Currently, I am using my #4th Dell 8250 (6+ years old - it is slowing down now) and HP 3 + years old. I have gone through the specificatioins of HP Pavilion  p6218f Desktop at Future Shop - comnplete cost with 20" HP Monitor, taxes and 3 years their warranty come to $1135.65. I will appreciate if you or anybody have an opinion on HP Pavillion p6218f or any suggestion for other brand names.

Thank You,

Kanti

12 Posts

December 14th, 2009 13:00

Kanti,  As far as i know those r one of the better systems so go for it.  Bottom line is if it has the components you need and the price is the same then go for it.,  Even with the extended service im sure it costs les than Dell.  I bought the Hp Pavillion 17.3" Widesrceen laptop w LED display, i7 processor, intel wireless internet and 6B RAM W 500 GB HD with no hassle whatsoever and aside from 1 dead pixel (almost standard w monitors now) I cannot say one bad thing about it.  

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

December 14th, 2009 14:00

I don't think it's realistic to think you can get cheap computer prices AND stellar support (as has already been mentioned).  If low price is your primary concern, buy Dell (or HP) and gamble on needing support. Your odds are pretty good the computer will work.    If high reliability and support are your primary concerns, buy from a well-established local shop (or build it yourself with premium components).

Actually, you can buy a reliable system with good support from Dell or HP, but you need to buy a corporate system. If you look at the HP or Dell workstations, you'll find usually very reliable high end systems and you can buy (pay extra) for higher end support.

295 Posts

December 27th, 2009 02:00

Many thanks to you all:

I have now bought HP p6204y with HP 20" monitor - a bundle package from Best Buy yesterday. Good price. Also bought Best Buy hardware warranty 3 years. Local store will handle my problems - if any.

Kind Regards,

Kanti

No Events found!