Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

May 31st, 2008 04:00

IDE/SATA expansion card is not recognized

I've bought a new IDE/SATA expansion card but my GX280 does not recognize it. I've tried to change the Bios Setup but it didn't help. The card has one IDE and 3 SATA ports.

My operating system is PCLOS. Any idea what to do in order to use the card?

Thanks 

1.7K Posts

May 31st, 2008 18:00

Does your card come with a linux driver? Do you not have enough ports on your motherboard?

9 Posts

May 31st, 2008 21:00

No, there is no linux driver. There are 3 pci slots on the mobo and I am using only one of them.

1.7K Posts

June 2nd, 2008 00:00

As far as ports, I meant do you not have enough sat or ide ports available for your drives.

If you are installing a pci card to boot from, all the ones I have seen need a driver for the operating system you are using 

1.7K Posts

June 2nd, 2008 17:00

So the original question is where do I get a driver? I have no idea. Don't know which card you have. See if the manufacturer has one, or find the chipset and another manufacture who might have a driver for theirs.

My best solution would buy a card that has a driver available and use that.

I'm sure you must have gone to a linux forum to find a driver before going to this site as the pc being  a dell is irrelevent 

9 Posts

June 2nd, 2008 17:00

That's right, I need more ports for my drives and looking for a Linux driver or alternative solution for the card.

9 Posts

June 4th, 2008 04:00

Thanks tr4. Well, I am not sure what sort of driver should I have. I've got the windows driver from the manufacturer, but I need to access the IDE port before the system starts, so the computer can start from the DVDrom.

Currentlythe computer has only one IDE slot and on that onethere are 2 HDDs.

1.7K Posts

June 4th, 2008 17:00

Ok, I think I may have the fix. Take both hard drives off of the dell ide cable and put on the card that has the correct linux drivers. If you don't have a card with linux drivers, it is useless. Get another card.

Put the opticals on the onboard ide cable. Now you can boot a cd.

No Events found!