Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 19th, 2009 09:00

IDE TO SATA adapter

I have a dell e521 sata drives. I purchased and adapter to install a hp dvd burner that is ide but Vista does not recognize it. I have tried master slave and cable select on the dvd burner.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 20th, 2009 10:00

rkbean1  

You've set the second DVD jumpers to the 'Master' setting?

There are no 'Master/Slave' designations with SATA, all that matters is, the primary C:/ boot hard drive must always be connected to SATA port 0 on the motherboard.

You could try clearing the NVRAM and see if that helps, see HERE

If the DVD's jumpers are set to 'Master' and the drive is still not recognized in the system setup, then the IDE to SATA adaptor could be bad, as I've said, they can be unreliable.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 19th, 2009 12:00

rkbean1  

The drive's jumper settings should be set at 'Master'.

Have you checked the e521 system setup, that the SATA port the drive is connected to is enabled [on]?

Note: IDE to SATA adaptors can be unreliable, using a PCI IDE controller card is the more reliable method.

Bev.

3 Posts

January 20th, 2009 04:00

I'm sorry I forgot to mention that this is going to be a second DVD drive. The BIOS is turned on for this drive but it does not recognize it. Thanks

3 Posts

January 21st, 2009 04:00

I got it working last night. While in ahurry to get it working I did not connect the power to the adapter. The computer started up slow but finialy recognized the drive. Thanks for the help.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 21st, 2009 11:00

rkbean1 

Happy to hear that you found the fix.    :emotion-11:

Bev.

No Events found!