Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 16th, 2011 05:00

INSPIRON 560- to run dual monitors- recommendations needed!

Hi

I work in a small Marketing Agency as a Junior Designer, and use my PC for Adobe Creative Suite etc. We want to add dual monitors and have bought an additional montior, but the dual screen will not work with the current graphics card, had anyone got recommendations for the right one to get?

My PC is:
Inspiron 560MT
RAM: 4GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) G45/g43 Express Chipset

Current monitor is the Dell (1600x900) one it came with- just has VGA input.

The other monitor is an HP monitor with DVI and VGA inputs which I would probably use as the main montior as it will be better quality I think.

When we tried connecting the 2 with a VGA splitter cable it just gave me 2 versions of the same distorted screen.

As you may be able to tell, I am fairly clearly about all of this and my boss has asked me to spec one, so any help on which is best/best value/companies to pruchase from (I am in the UK) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Becky

June 16th, 2011 05:00

Sorry I meant to say I am clueless about this (not clearly)!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 16th, 2011 16:00

The on-board Intel video won't support two monitors with separate (different) screens because you have only one VGA output on the PC.

You'd have to buy an add-in PCI-e x16 video card with 2 video outputs to do what you want. And then read this and watch this from Microsoft.

Ron

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

October 25th, 2011 14:00

You can't use a vga-hdmi converter. You have to match the monitor input  and the computer output. You can use HDMI to HDMI cable with a second monitor that has hdmi.  Use the first monitor with vga and get a second monitor with hdmi or dvi. HDMI to DVI cable works since it is basically the same signal. Buy a hdmi cable for less than $5 at Amazon or another online retailer. Don't fall for the scam about pricey hdmi cables. DVI to HDMI cables can be bought for less than $10.

1 Message

October 25th, 2011 14:00

I also just got this computer and was under the impression it supports dual monitors

The computer does have an HDMI out port. I purchased a HDMI to VGA cable thinking this would work, but it does not recognize that monitor. Is there a way to get this working?

Thanks

No Events found!