Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 25th, 2013 11:00

Inspiron 2020 display issues

I have a Dell 2020 purchased in August 2012. All of a sudden the video quality changed and everything looks bright and the contrast looks way off. I have gone in and adjusted each of the settings, played with resolution, brightness, restored all of the defaults, etc. and no luck. I updated the graphics card driver and no changes. I restored the computer to an earlier time to see if one of the recent updates I performed caused the issue (Java update and microsoft updates). It looks like the HD quality has gone bad and everything is too bright and grainy. I did a system check and the only thing that came back was a aero error stating windows manager was disabled. I did the check again and it didn't show the 2nd time. Any suggestions? Seems like it should be an at home fix versus running into a shop.

November 20th, 2013 15:00

I also purchased 3 Inspiron All in One 2020's (non touch) in Nov.2013 and so far two have had to have the motherboard replaced. Fortunately they were still under warranty.  Fingers crossed on the third. Beautiful computers but they have a bad video card and since it's integrated into the motherboard the whole thing has to be replaced. 

1 Message

December 11th, 2013 10:00

Thanks Sawdust484, 

This is what i did yesterday and it's pretty close to true color, maybe you want to give it a shot

Control panel-Display-Calibrate color 

skip through to "Adjust Color Balance", from here i adjusted all three colors(Red,Green,Blue) to all the way to the left side(Black), and save

hopefully this will fix the problem for  everyone

This worked for me! Great idea, thanks a bunch.

January 10th, 2014 09:00

Thanx Sawdust -your fix made my display useable again!

3 Posts

January 10th, 2014 09:00

Sawdust's solution is a temporary fix, but it is just a workaround. In fact, mine resets every time I turn it off. Your computer is flawed. Contact Dell and MAKE THEM FIX THIS. They need to be held accountable for their poor products. My computer is no longer under warranty. I complained loudly on the Dell Facebook page. On Monday a tech is coming to my house and fixing the issue (for a second time in well under two years) free of charge.

January 26th, 2014 23:00

I am a IT professional servicing computer equipment and have been working on a Inspiron 2020 all in one and that had the same issues as you have been describing. I believe I have found a fix for it. I updated the bios to the newest version, (original was A02, new is A06) it had a firmware update included with it. I then installed the newest driver from dell's site. It has been working flawless for the last 6 hours now with no issues with the contrast. The contrast is still too bright when windows is starting, but corrects itself in the welcome screen. I will update in a couple of days if it comes back.

January 27th, 2014 05:00

You may be premature at thinking you have a solution. The problem comes and goes. It will work fine for days or even weeks but it always comes back. It seems to come back upon a restart of the computer. I have never seen it pop up in the middle of the day when I am working. With the way it comes and goes I do not think it is a hardware issue but is tied to software updates.

3 Posts

January 27th, 2014 14:00

Mine was a constant issue. It did not come and go. A Dell technician came to fix mine (new motherboard with integrated video card) for a second time in six months. I wish it was a simple software fix, but it is not. I don't know what hardware Dell uses, but it is HORRIBLE. This was my first and last Dell. I've since upgraded to an HP.

January 28th, 2014 23:00

Update; It is still working after 3 days and 25 restarts, no issues present as of yet.

1 Message

April 1st, 2014 08:00

SAWDUST.....KULAMAN...u da man ...you nailed it....not perfect but WAYYYYYY better (color calibrations to the left)

THX

1 Message

June 5th, 2014 10:00

Menticol is right... My one year warranty with Dell expired and the 2 months later I had same issue. However this is not my first negative experience with dell's doomed all in one... I have first inspiron 19 I bought a few years ago sitting in corner of kitchen collecting dust with same issue. It actually lasted for 2 years. Shame on me for thinking dell may have actually improved their all-in-one just a few years later. The second one, the inspiron 2020 ,bought in Feb of 2013 is under an extended warranty I paid extra for when purchased at Walmart. Therefore it has been in transit and sitting in Asurion repair center in Irving, Texas for the last 3 weeks. When I finally got distracted enough to call and find out was going on with the non communicative service center I get, " I'll find out what is going on and contact you when I do "... A day later I get an email stating it was received, actually 3 days later than UPS tracking documented delivery, and was being placed with technician. Two days after that I get another email stating that parts had to be ordered, LCD panel and inverter, and that repair would take longer than expected. No timeline offered... Just longer than expected. 

November 15th, 2014 11:00

Kulaman85 - thank you so much!  I am having this same problem with my dell 2020 (barely out of warranty), and this works!!!   It resets when booting up again, and I usually need to do this again, but it is no big deal to redo this fix.   Your post/help is really appreciated!

"Control panel-Display-Calibrate color

skip through to "Adjust Color Balance", from here i adjusted all three colors(Red,Green,Blue) to all the way to the left side(Black), and save"

November 15th, 2014 11:00

thank you kulaman85!!!  this is working for me!

"This is what i did yesterday and it's pretty close to true color, maybe you want to give it a shot

Control panel-Display-Calibrate color 

skip through to "Adjust Color Balance", from here i adjusted all three colors(Red,Green,Blue) to all the way to the left side(Black), and save

hopefully this will fix the problem for  everyone"

1 Message

March 19th, 2015 05:00

My problem happened one week after warranty was up. My computer loads and I can hear it but

I cannot see anything unless in safe mode. I also have inspiron 2020 and ao restore but cannot in safe modem aggravated. 

4 Posts

August 18th, 2015 19:00

ty kulaman85 u just saved me from my depression from the cancer brightness

February 5th, 2016 06:00

Interesting...since I did the windows 10 upgrade I have not had the super brightness problem at all.   Before I did the upgrade, I had started having the brightness problem everyday again.  I was running windows 7 before the w10 upgrade. 

No Events found!