Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 10th, 2010 03:00

Inspiron 530s SATA HDD Cable.

Dell community,

Looking at the SATA cable that is used on this model, the cable acts like a dual data/power cable that works with any hard drive universally that is SATA.

I was wondering what these types of dual cables are called as I cannot find any in my area nor any retail websites that supply computer hardware.

Otherwise I'll be giving dell a call for another cable, but would like to go through third party vendors first.

Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 10th, 2010 04:00

According to the Dell manual <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>, the cables are standard cables.  A separate Data cable and a separate Power cable.  On my Dimension E510 and on other Dell's that I've seen they only supply a Data cable for whatever was delivered with the PC, thus if you had one hard drive and wanted to add another you will have to supply a Data cable for the second drive.  However, there are Power connectors for two drives. 

40 Posts

April 10th, 2010 05:00

Orange cable leading from the HDD.

It's one cable, not a separate data/power.

40 Posts

April 10th, 2010 06:00

It's a Seagate barracuda 320gb, everything is pretty much standard. I changed the original case, power supply, cd drive, graphics card and now moving up to the hard drive.

If you have any real answers, supply them, don't give me bull such as "oooh Dell is so fancy they now specialize in custom hard drives" - they'd fail day 1. I'm sure this answer also supplies grounds to tell you they fail at manuals, I have the booklet myself and have no need for the one you've given me. If you're not a DELL IT or a user that has specialized with the 530s itself, don't bother.

Back to what I was saying, it's one cord that does both power & data, a dual cord.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 10th, 2010 06:00

That is nothing like what the manual shows (that I linked in my original response).  And if that is the case that is a special (non standard) drive.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 10th, 2010 07:00

This is a users helping users forum.  I'm not a Dell employee but I am one of the forum "VIP's" and have over 32000 posts.

40 Posts

April 10th, 2010 07:00

Self experience + photo > manual provided by idiots that copy+paste stuff from previous manuals and change only a few things that makes it look custom made for that model.

40 Posts

April 11th, 2010 03:00

Am I going to get an answer or not?

3.7K Posts

April 11th, 2010 03:00

Looking at the SATA cable that is used on this model, the cable acts like a dual data/power cable that works with any hard drive universally that is SATA.

Hi, I have 2 HD in my system, the data cable is not your power cable. On your power cable which services your HD that came with your system, there should be 2 power connectors on it. One for your main HD, and another that can be used for a second HD.

40 Posts

April 11th, 2010 06:00

That's odd, I swear it's only one cable for one HDD and it has to be one cable.

This isn't making any sense, the image is right there, what's your setup look like?

3.7K Posts

April 11th, 2010 08:00

Hi, I have the one power cable coming out of the PSU with 2 power plugs on it, for 2 HD. Also, each HD has it's own data cable, Ie Main HD has the data cable coming out of SATA port 0, and the 2nd HD has it's SATA cable coming out of port 5.

881 Posts

April 11th, 2010 10:00

If you have any real answers, supply them, don't give me bull such as "oooh Dell is so fancy they now specialize in custom hard drives" - they'd fail day 1. I'm sure this answer also supplies grounds to tell you they fail at manuals, I have the booklet myself and have no need for the one you've given me. If you're not a DELL IT or a user that has specialized with the 530s itself, don't bother.

Back to what I was saying, it's one cord that does both power & data, a dual cord.

Wow what a friendly person! I will make it my lifes mission to get the answer for this! And then NOT give it to you. People spend valuable time here to help other users. Some manners go a long way.

40 Posts

April 12th, 2010 03:00

Once more:

Dell buys cheap quality components then put them together to over price them with crummy advertising to make themselves look good and redirect all customer support services to below minimum wage Indians that you can't understand and they can't understand you, require a service tag of your system when you can just give them exactly what you need (if ordering a part) which is also pathetic. Gotta love the warranty too, parts usually die just before or just on the date of it.

I still laugh at systems that require 250w-300w that get only a 220w PSU, nice going, Dell.

I put together my own system and compared it to dell (a desktop), and found I could save a good $600-700 on the same specs, if not a little higher and real quality.

Oh well, if you Dell, mods, can't take my free speech on your services and delete this post again: you just want your image to look good. Truth hurts, no?

881 Posts

April 12th, 2010 10:00

I took some doing but I FINALLY found the info on that cable!

Jeff

40 Posts

April 13th, 2010 04:00

Means nothing to me now >;3

1 Message

June 13th, 2012 02:00

:emotion-39: I'm looking for the same cable, Exactly like the one in the picture i just bought a 1T HD an no way to use it till i find that cable so if anyone out there no's where to get one i would be the happiest man in the world! P.S. Dell 530s Inspiron Windows Vista Home Premium SP-2 32Bit x86 and if this helps any(Motherboard
 Manufacturer Dell Inc.
 Model 0RY007 (Socket 775)
 Chipset Vendor Intel
 Chipset Model P35/G33/G31
 Chipset Revision A2
 Southbridge Vendor Intel
 Southbridge Model 82801IR (ICH9R)
 Southbridge Revision 02
 System Temperature 40 °C Thank's.

No Events found!