Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 15th, 2013 04:00

Inspiron 545 Powers on but wont boot up

Hi Guys
I have an Ispiron 545 runnng windows 7 that is powering on but there is no picture on the Monitor.
The unit turns on and beeps once and the power button on the fornt first blinks Orange and then turns a solid white!
All the fans are spinning in the tower and the hard drive discs seem to be spinning too.
I have tried removin the CMOS, Reseating the ram and nothing has worked.
When i turn the unit on the monitor seems to recognise something is attached but there is no picture just a blank screen.
I have tested the monitor and that is fine.
Im kinda lost guys and would appreciate any suggestions
Regards
John

3 Posts

June 17th, 2013 01:00

Ok so I have managed to get the PC working again.
Turns out that there was a few issues. The main culprit appears to have been a dead CMOS battery.
The unit was not booting correctly with the VGA cable plugged in so I plugged it out and restarted the PC, once I had seen the keyboard light up I plugged the monitor back in again and hey presto the PC had booted and was showing a "cmos checksum invalid default values loaded" error. So I replaced the CMOS battery and corrected the date and time. Once this was done I downloaded the latest BIOS for the system and preformed a BIOS flash.
This seems to have resolved the issue and now the PC is booting every time since without any issue.
Many thanks for the help.
Regards
John

1.5K Posts

June 15th, 2013 05:00

Hi John,

One beep code indicates BIOS ROM checksum in progress or failure, BIOS Chip failure or motherboard failure. Please try releasing the residual charge. Here are the steps:

• Disconnect any external peripherals (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) from the rear and the front computer.
  • Then remove all the cables including power cable, monitor, keyboard and mouse from the computer.
  • Press and hold the power button on the computer for 10 seconds.
  • Reconnect the power cable, keyboard, mouse and monitor cable only.
  • Restart the computer and check if the computer is functioning properly.

If the issue still persist, you might consider replacing the motherboard. Please share the system's Service Tag and Owner's Name with me via private message (click my username and then click Start Conversation), if the system is in warranty. If not, you may contact our Spare Parts and Accessories dept on 1-800-357-3355 (Applicable for US Customers).

If you are in a different region, go to http://dell.to/18NmI2D select the country/region from the top, scroll down and click on 'Contact Dell Sales' to get the contact information.

Please reply if you have any questions.

3 Posts

June 16th, 2013 05:00

Hi Saharsh

I have tried that with no luck. I have also tried removing all the RAM to see if the MB detects if it is missing and it does so I have tested it with all the available RAM sticks and still no luck!

All the fans are spinning including the one on the graphics card.

The unit will not power up a standard Dell optical mouse. The light blinks for a millisecond and doesn't come on after that. Funnily enough I have a mini USB mouse that the USB port does seem to power but this has no effect on getting the unit online.

Thanks again for your help!

Regards

1.5K Posts

June 18th, 2013 07:00

Hi JohnG83,

This is a great new. Glad that the issue is resolved. Feel free to reach out to us if need any assistance.

No Events found!