Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 24th, 2012 11:00

Inspiron 580 Memory Read Errors

Hello,

I am currently having issues with the RAM on my Inspiron 580. When I originally bought the computer, there was 3x2GB of memory already installed. Recently, I upgraded the capacity to 2x4GB. Since then, my PC has only been able to read one memory module. I am only able to boot when there is a module installed in the 1 and 2 slot, and only half of that is actually read. I've tried several combinations to see what kinds of problems have been occurring. Here is a list of what has happened when I tested different slots and combinations:

1, 2, 3, 4 slots filled - 4 beeps (RAM Read / Write Failure)

1, 2, 3 - Will not boot

1, 3, 4 - Will not boot

1, 2, 4 - Will not boot

2, 3, 4 - 4 beeps

1, 2 - Boots, only reads half 

3, 4 - 4 beeps

1 - 2 beeps (No memory module(s) detected)

2 - 4 beeps

3 - 2 beeps

4 - 4 beeps

I've never had problems up until now. I've ran all of the memory and system diagnostics and I have not been able to come up with any problems. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Tim

5 Posts

December 24th, 2012 13:00

This error occured prior to memory upgrade with the factory installed memory. Upgraded memory presents the same error. The upgraded memory  is compatible.

The computer is only reading slot # 1

• 

3.3K Posts

December 24th, 2012 13:00

Hi hoss964,

4 beeps indicate that the memory is not detected by the system. Please check if the memory you have upgraded is compatible with your system.

Also make sure the memories are connected in the order shown in the picture below and firmly seated in the slot.

This system uses 1066 MHz DDR3 and 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM.

The Inspiron 580 supports the following memory mode operations with performance depending on configuration:

• Dual-channel symmetric mode, in which both channels are populated with the same memory size. This configuration yields peak memory performance as both channels are used simultaneously.
  • Dual-channel asymmetric mode, in which both channels are populated but with different memory amounts. This configuration yields the performance of a single channel of memory with the combined memory size of the two channels.
  • Single-channel mode, in which only one channel is populated.

5 Posts

December 25th, 2012 13:00

All tests were performed as per the first post...which number slot was filled and the results:

1, 2, 3, 4 slots filled - 4 beeps (RAM Read / Write Failure)

1, 2, 3 slots filled - Will not boot

1, 3, 4 slots filled - Will not boot

1, 2, 4 - Will not boot

2, 3, 4 - 4 beeps

1, 2 slots filled - Boots, only reads half

3, 4 slots filled - 4 beeps

1 - 2 slots filled- beeps (No memory module(s) detected)

2 - 4 slots filled-  4 beeps

3 - 2 slots filled-4  beeps

4 - 4 slots filled- 4 beeps

Thanks

• 

3.3K Posts

December 25th, 2012 13:00

Hi hoss964,

Thank you for the information.  Now we need to find out if it is the memory slot or the memory itself. I suggest that you remove the memory from all the slots, try turning on the system with one memory in one slot only at a time. Check all the memory stick. Check with which memory or which slot causes the system to beep.  This will help in isolating which slot or which memory stick is faulty.

• 

3.3K Posts

December 26th, 2012 08:00

Hi hoss964,

Thank you for the trouble shooting steps done and beep code results. However I request you to try one memory in one slot at time. Please revert with the status for further assistance.

5 Posts

December 29th, 2012 17:00

I tested as requested..

Slot 1  filled, 2-3-4  empty  2 beeps  no boot

Slot 2  filled,  1-3-4  empty  4 beeps  no boot

Slot 3  filled  1-2-4  empty   2 beeps no boot

Slot 4  filled  1-2-3  empty  4  beeps  no boot

Slots  1 & 2 filled, Slots 3 & 4 empty  Boots, reads only half memory      2 x 4 GB

• 

3.3K Posts

December 30th, 2012 09:00

Hi hoss964,

Thank you so much for the detailed error codes. Two beep codes indicate that the memory is not getting detected. 4 beep codes indicate ram Read/write failure or it means the memory is not compatible.

Since the system is booting with memory is first two slots and as mentioned earlier if the first slot is reading all the 4 memory sticks, I suspect the memory slot is the issue means the motherboard is faulty. I request you to send the system service tag to check the warranty status to assist you further

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

• 

3.3K Posts

January 2nd, 2013 11:00

Hi hoss964,

Unfortunately we have not received feedback from you on this topic. If you need continued support, please respond to my private message.

5 Posts

January 2nd, 2013 16:00

PM sent with info

No Events found!